My mind is fully awake and alert, but my body is in a dream-like state. I can hear and feel everything that's happening around me, but I can't see, nor can I speak. It sucks. I do feel extremely weak but at the same time so strong like I've never been.

I try to give myself into the darkness but nope. My mind refuses to take a nap. I try to count sheep and think of peaceful things.

Arg! I'm not having any luck. Eventually, I allow my mind to drift and think about whatever it wants. It wanders to him, of course. He is all I can think about.

First, I think about his hot and cold touch, then his warm and cool lips.  I know he is not here, but it feels like he is extremely close. His presence lingers on me like smoke.

His body has been absent for over three hours now, but that doesn't matter because his presence is right here, right inside my mind. I know that sounds weird. It's just one of those things you have to experience in order to understand it.

"She doesn't look any different."

I hear King Cyrus say, sounding concerned—shockingly enough.

"Are you sure?"

"I'm positive," Xander replies. "He has claimed her, but she hasn't fully accepted immortality. Her body is currently going through the transition. Only Claire can decide the outcome."

"Why does the pendant work for her? It's strange she can yield its power."

"It is strange," Xander agrees. "Marcellus deals with a lot of witches. He's almost here. Maybe he understands its power."

"How about you just contact Aurora, Xander?" King Cyrus suggests. "She's the one who granted the pendant to your beloved in the first place."

"Aurora will kill me on sight, fool. How about you ask her?"

"Why is Claire's heartbeat so low?" someone asks him.

Mr. Meany, I think.

"She's technically still human, so her body doesn't heal quickly. She needs his blood to fully regenerate," Xander replies.

Wait, blood? Is he talking about me? What the hell does he mean when he said I'm technically still human?

"Her body will reject anyone else's other than his."

"Luckily for us, we are in his safe house," another voice chimes in, and someone touches my head and parts my mouth slightly.

A warm, cinnamon‑tasting liquid rushes down my throat, and my senses hit me hard and strong.

My eyes pop open. Everything is bright. Everything looks bright, almost white. I squelch my eyes, only to replace the white with vivid, vibrant colors. A squeaking mouse is particularly yelling in my ears, without actually being anywhere near them. It's strange. Then other voices hit me. There's so much noise, too much noise for my sensitive ears to take in. Voices turn into loud, beeping white noise.

I shake my head. I can smell the damp earth and wildflowers. It's calming yet alarming. The potent fragrance mingles with many others but stands out like a sore thumb. I take a deep breath and almost choke. Too many fragrances mingle together, invading my lungs. My mind starts to work of its own accord, taking full control.

I close my ear off with an imaginary earplug to stop the annoying, squeaking sound. Seconds later, I learn how to lock and block other noises. I quickly realize that those are other voices. In the next moment, I close off my lungs, but I can still breathe in air. Now that's just creepy as hell. Finally, within maybe two seconds later, my bright, vivid, and extremely clear eyesight locks on them. All of them are watching me like they are waiting for me to pounce.