|45|~Stake Your Claim~

Start from the beginning

Xander is the first to break eye contact. "Commander Vlad has arrived. We need to go now," he states.

Nicklaus scoops me off the ground quicker than one can say, "I do." I can feel the angry heatwaves seeping out of his pores. He's really, really angry, and it kind of bothers me. I don't like to see him like that.

Wait, what am I talking about? Who the hell cares if he's angry? I'm acting whipped.

You are whipped, says my inner voice.

I place my attention back onto Nicklaus. I want to confront him, but at the same time, I don't want to add fuel to his already blazing fire. I'll give him a moment to calm down. I think it's for the best.

We are running through a frozen-ice forest, but all I feel is him. The wind rushes around us as he speeds through the woods like a race car. I place my left hand over his heart. It doesn't beat, but mine is pounding loud enough for the both of us. We are one.

He places his chin over my head, and I have to stop myself from purring. The skin‑to‑skin contact with Nicklaus feels so good. He doesn't have to do much. Just one touch is all it takes. Jeepers creepers! I'm officially buttercream whipped!

Nicklaus stops and slides into a black SUV. He moves so fast. One minute we were running, the next minute I'm already sitting on his lap, with my hand still placed over his chest. His piercing eyes are once again locking me in chains. I can't move.

Xander climbs in, slamming the door shut behind him. The car speeds off at once. Oh God, I think I'm going to be sick. My stomach can't take all this unearthly movement.

"Are you fucking stupid?" Xander shouts.

I knew it. He's pissed.

"You could have killed her."

"Remember who you're talking to," replies Nicklaus.

How can five words sound so dangerous, menacing, savage, threatening, heart-wrenching, and cruel?

Xander doesn't have to remember who he is talking to because I do. Nicklaus is still the world's most feared and most dangerous predator, and I won't ever forget it. Never.

Xander's eyes snap in Nicklaus's direction. Something unnerving, wicked, and cold flashes through those silver eyes of his as he stares at his brother's head-on. It reminds me of his reputation. He is claimed to be the Cold-hearted King after all.

"I know perfectly well who I'm talking to," Xander responds. Anger, hurt, and pain seeps through him like water through cracks in the wall. His body is dangerously still, his eyes flickering different shades of red.

Nicklaus's grip around my waist tightens.

This is going from bad to worse in a matter of seconds.

"The spoiled and pathetic vampire, who almost killed his—"

That does it.

Nicklaus lunges, knocking me over in the process. I manage to pull myself up as quickly as possible despite the gravity of the moving car. The two are like animals locked in a cage as they fight for their lives. Have you ever seen two lions fighting? Sharp teeth, massive claws, and a lot of blood! It's petrifying.

Everything around me goes in slow motion. My heart is hammering in my chest.

Xander's fist slams into Nicklaus's face in the same moment when Nicklaus's knee collides with Xander's jaw.

I'm torn. Xander is like the big brother that I never had, while Nicklaus is my . . . My heart is pounding, my skin starts to tingle, and my neck is burning, scorching hot red rage.