The voice came gently as waves wending through the sand. His warm breath perfumed with a scent I did not know. A breath of life itself.

"But my lord, why am I here?" I said. "I have no form! What has happened to me?"

Vishnu smiled radiantly again.

I summoned you from the fragment's cycle of birth and death. Now your consciousness has returned to me. It is time you meet your True Self.

"My true self?"

I am the Self of all beings. You are my object. But for you, of course, it's the exact opposite. I am the object, you are the self.

I was confused.

"So am I what now?" I said. "I remember...I remember taking my own life."

The god inclined his head.

Where there is a sound of death, there begins a life of some worth. But no one shall abandon duties because one sees defects in them. It is a sin to kill oneself. Every action is surrounded by defects as a fire is surrounded by smoke.

"I know, but I can't live with this guilt and shame anymore. I am a terrible person," I said honestly. "If you're the one who sent me back in time to fight the evil force, you have chosen the wrong person. You should've sent someone else to fulfill this prophecy."

The majestic man laughed. The sound was like small brass bells tied around the necks of calves, and it remained with me even the tone ceased.

There is a purpose for you, little one. Don't get caught up with the attachments of the scheme for your sins is part of your destiny. You're merely the instrument to the musician.

"But all those immoral deeds for a hidden purpose?" I said remorsefully. "I can't go back. Please, let me stay with you. I feel so comfortable here."

You are not ready. You have so many lifetimes to go through, so many responsibilities. You must fulfill the prophecy that has been laid before you. Your time will run out eventually. Then you shall find me again.

"What if I fail?" I said.

The god bent forward and held out his hand to cup around my light-formed self—if you could call it a self. His palm opened, revealing a red spiral in the middle. The look on his divine face was one I had never seen, serene, affectionate, and content. I felt as if I was pinpricks of light coalescing into one.

I am you and you are me. You will soon forget your true self, but go now, and rise again elsewhere far.

Vishnu opened his mouth. Inside I could see mountains and oceans and other worlds within. Then I ascended and fell into his gigantic mouth. Everything spun and shifted around me.

At last, all light ceased.

I was jolted wide awake with a loud gasp. The sound of waves danced in my ears. I opened my eyes again to the tender light of dawn. Hovering over me was a familiar beautiful face.

The scent of seaweed and ocean enveloped me once again. I realized I was back and more so in the arms of the mermaid queen. She was staring at me with tear-drenched cheeks. Her strong hands held me close to her bosom. Strangely, the coldness of her skin comforted me.

"Sovannmacha," my croaky voice came out airy, but she heard me and nodded.

"You are a stupid, immature mortal girl," she said, sounding like she had been in terrible grief. Then the merqueen brought her palm to my warm cheek. That was how I could feel my own body again. I looked around me for the first time. My shirt was half soaked with blood, but there was no more pain.

"I'm still alive?" I breathed. On the sand beside me lay the golden knife that Tepi had given me. The blade was also smeared with dry blood. Of course, my avatar friend would never give me a normal weapon. It was celestial and would not kill innocent beings. Did that mean I was innocent? But I still deserved the punishment.

"Why did you try to end your life?" the mermaid asked in a disapproving tone.

"Because of what I have done, my lady," I said. "Yet you still saved me, why? You should have let me lie here to die!"

"I could not and would not do such a heartless thing," she said. "All I knew was I wanted to rid that hateful knife from your body. I felt a piercing pain and sorrow as though the blade had also gone through me. I didn't know how or when you started mattering so much so to my heart."

I blinked at her in confusion.

"Have you forgotten I was the cause of your ravishment?" I said with my eyes gazing into hers. Sovannmacha shook her head back. Her long flowing hair had dried from the constant breeze. She had stayed this long from the water just to wait for me.

"I have not forgotten," she said softly. "But a deflowering to me is as binding as marriage vows."