That One Year-III (Reprise Nisha)

Chapter -53

That One Year-III (Reprise Nisha)

“Aj……… , why is he calling me again so many times? He never does that before. And why is this Nehal behind me. How should I explain him? How should I get rid of all this, Aj you are bothering me a lot. You never called to my home this way. You know that we live in a joint family, by any means if my paternal uncles get to know all this my dad’s reputation will be at stake. I know you are missing me as much as I do, but why are you calling me whenever you want?” Thinking all this, I slept on my couch whole night.

I got up next morning but dint really want to open my eyes as I was planning how to parry Nehal and explain him that I can never love him.

I waited whole day in the college to find Nehal in the evening and he did so.

I was walking with Sushma to my home and heard Nehal shouting “Angel …..”

Sushma turned back while I was still holding my nerve.

“Not you monkey, the awesomeness beside you.”

“This fellow is born with packets of cholesterol on his tongue.” Sushma said with lots of reluctance on her face to look at him anymore.

I was growing impatient while he was calling me with different names.

I stopped moving and he walked close to me.

“What do you want Nehal?”

“A strawberry ice cream with extra nuts and chocolate topping.”

“Don’t think you are funny, I am right now really frustrated. Mind your tongue Nehal.”

“I am sorry Nisha, but I truly want a yes for my yesterdays proposal.”

“How do you expect my answer to be yes? I never had any feelings towards you Nehal. Why don’t you understand?”

A long silence.

“Don’t lie Nisha, I have seen you many times laughing when I was talking with you.” Nehal said with a smile on his face with tears in his eyes.

“I laugh when I see joker in circus, that doesn’t mean that I love him.” I was intentionally  rude so that he will leave me.

“Nisha, don’t lie I have seen your eyes , I am sure that you love me.”

“Stop being nerd! I am clear and I always treated to be a good friend.” saying I started to walk.

“Nisha, wait! Don’t walk away leaving me like this.” Saying he caught my hand.

I don’t know why and how but I slapped very hard, which turned his face complete red at once. I guess this is the worst reflex action which I have ever dreamt in my wildest dreams.

I felt for a while to apologise him, but this will soften his feeling again on me, thinking I walked briskly away from him.

“Is it Aj, for whom you are leaving me?” Nehal shouted.

I was completely startled and looked back with my eyes wide open.

Don’t worry you will never remember him again in your life and thanks for your touch, I will never forget this day.” Nehal said with a smile on his face.

I was completely perplexed , that how did Nehal know about Aj. On the other hand I could see Sushma who is my bestie turned her face away from me as she felt that I have never said anything about Aj.

I reached home and was startled to see all my family waiting for me. By now I was sure that something is wrong and the reason is me myself.

“Who is AJ?” My father asked like never before.

“Tring Tring…” (Phone ringing)

“Switch on the speaker and let Nisha alone speak.” My uncle advised my dad and he followed. I walked to the phone.

“Hello…”

“Who is this?” I asked with my voice loud.

“It’s me Nisha, Aj. How can you forget me so easily?”

On one side I clearly doubt whether it was Aj or no and if he is Aj himself then I have to safeguard him from my family. I was extremely nervous but dint show it up.

“Ya Aj, why did you call me?”

“I want to see you Nisha, please do come to the bakery beside your college.Tomorrow at 5 pm after your college. Please do come . Please” saying he hanged up the phone.

Now its turn to face a shower of questions and my father know this a way before and cleverly took me into my room.

“What is this Nisha? What is happening?”

“Pappa … Aj is my school friend and I don’t know why is he behaving this way.”

“Did you know how many times did he called today, over 20 times.”

“Pappa, I feel it is not Aj, His voice is not the same.”

“Voice in phone is different from live person.”

Meanwhile my uncle and cousin brothers entered into my room with various ideas. All my cousins heard Aj in school and everyone confirmed it to be Aj, while I was still not sure.

“Let Nisha go to Bakery tomorrow, we will find him there itself and give him blue and balck.”

While all are planning I slowly walked into balcony and prayed that he should not be Aj, and if at all he is Aj , he should no turn up tomorrow.

*******

I finished my college and walked towards the bakery with my father and uncle walking along with me maintaining some distance.

I entered into bakery and sweat on my forehead popped up, I prayed Aj should not turn up. Sushma brought a diet coke and we both sat down in a corner table waiting for Aj.

I looked at my watch, It was showing 5.15 . I had no interest on coke while I was praying that I should not find Aj. All my memories with Aj haunted me, the way we used to be in school, the way we were in our Science exhibition, the way he treated me with utmost care, the way he proposed me, theway we used to fight, the way we used to exchange our looks, the way we used to look at each other hiding, the way I used to walk with him, the way I used to clutch his hand with mine, the way I used to tease him, the way we have been all our schooling.

I closed my eyes thinking all this and suddenly I could feel a heavy tap on my shoulders.

                                                To be continued………..