19|| the new little shank

// "Terrified, he came;
      with accepted arms,
     he was embraced." \\

    •
    Newt stood by the garden early in the morning. He was up early enough to watch the sun rise above the glade.  As he started redoing the fertilizer, he felt arms wrap around his stomach.  Newt turned his head and was met with the smiling face of Harper. 
"Good morning, you..."
Newt returned the smile, "Good morning."
Harper kissed the boy on his nose, which made his grin widen and his eyes light up. 

    Minho stood behind Harper, watching them with an amused smirk, "If you two are done..."
The two pulled away from each other on hearing his voice, "The maze isn't going to run itself..."  Harper nodded, standing up straighter and swinging her backpack on her shoulder.
She turned away from the boys and headed towards the doors.  Minho turned to Newt again, smirking.  He winked at him before following Harper into the maze.  Newt shook his head, his cheeks a slightly redder shade.  Smiling, he limped back over to his gardening.  That girl..
Ever since his 'accident', the two had gotten even closer; he had realized trying to leave Harper was the biggest mistake he had ever made.  She and Minho had always been there for him; and even more so now.  His bum leg would now remind him of forgetting that his best friends were all he needed- and all he would always need.  He tried to take his life, he failed.  He was so thankful he failed.  His selfless, caring, protective self had almost done the most selfish thing.  Taken his life.  He wouldn't have taken his life from him, but from Harper, and Minho.

   The sun was directly above him in the sky, burning on his back.  He looked up and stretched; it was time for lunch.  The sun's position was always his indicator for time.
Minho and Harper would be back from the maze, everyone would eat, the box alarm would sound through the maze and a new greenie and new supplies would come up in the box; this was today's schedule. 

   Newt sat down with his stew.  Frypan's stew- it was the most popular meal in the glade, though, it wasn't particularly good.  It was just better than everything else.  Winston sat down across from him.  He was sweaty and filthy, but still smiling as usual.  "Hey, Newt," He stabbed his spoon into the stew before inhaling it like a ravaging monster.  Newt nodded, stirring his stew lazily, he waited to eat until the duo was back.  Harper approached the table laughing, Minho's face red, "This shank—" She set her bowl down between fits of laughter, "thought he could race me—" she sat down next to Newt, laughing again, "and he shucking face planted."  She snorted and rested her head on Newt, getting lost in laughter again. 
"You tripped me!"
Minho looked at her exasperated and red in the face.  Harper shook her head, wiping her tears, "You were in front of me!"
Minho scoffed, "So you admit I was winning."
Harper rolled her eyes, "Say whatever you need to make yourself feel better."
Minho stuck his tongue out at her as Newt and Winston laughed. 

   Harper swallowed her last bit of apple when a blaring moan echoed through the glade.
The box was coming up.  The boys all jumped to their feet and rushed outside.  Harper and Newt pushed to the front of the group as the box came to a booming stop. 

"Move, let her through."
Newt moved some of the boys aside so Harper could get to the front.  Minho pulled the heavy metal doors open as the boys crowded closer to get a look at their new shank.  Harper leaned down, looking over the poor new soul.  He was a round short boy with the curliest mess of brown hair Harper had ever seen. He was young.  Younger than any of the other boys.
Harper prayed already that he wouldn't be a redo of Stephen. Newt held her arm, steadying her as she climbed down into the box.

The small boy's panicked expression softened as his eyes fell on the girl. A few of the boys laughed. As if they had a right; this little boy was already being braver than most of the newbies. "Hey..." Harper knelt down, now level with the boy. The little one's breathing steadied, looking at her with fearful eyes.
"You're alright..." She held her arms up in surrender, "I'm Harper... Do you remember your name?" Newt looked at Minho with a small smile. She had had the calming effect on all the boys— even if they weren't just coming up in the box.