83|| the heart

// this ride is a journey to
the secret inside of you \\

Teresa paced around the operation room, looking between her clipboard and the woman on the hospital bed. She used to be a WCKD employee, but now she would soon be a Crank. Teresa sighed, "I'm sorry about this, Kathryn..." She injected a vial into her arm, hoping silently it would be different results this time... Just like every other time. Kathryn was at the very beginning stages of having the Flare. Green veins were just starting to form up her neck and jaw. "I knew this would happen–" Kathryn tensed, her breathing heavy as the trial cure entered her system, "Every day here- working towards something that may not even happen—" she gasped, crying out in pain, "Hurts-" She closed her eyes tightly, her head slumping forward.

     Teresa watched her co-worker anxiously, already seeing red flags about this dose working, "Kathryn?" The woman was staring blankly at a wall, as if she had froze in time. Teresa dropped her clipboard, rushing towards the woman.
No pulse.
Dead... Just like that...
Trial 91: Failed.

       She covered her mouth to hide a sob, running out of the room, fighting hard not to throw up. Countless trials, endless subjects. 
Every single one failed. 

Harper was right.
There would never be a cure.

~~~~~

          Doctor Paige jumped, her mind not convinced it was really seeing this.  Minho had moved to his feet, "She's—" Harper was breathing. Several doctors rushed in, all talking frantically, "How is this possible..."  They looked to Ava for answers, but she had no words.  Ava stared, dumbfounded. 
It wasn't possible.
Minho was still holding Harper's hand when they shoved him from the room.  "She's—"  Teresa had come back, running, looking panicked, "What's going on?"  Minho's head was spinning, his stomach churning.  He was going to throw up.  Overwhelming grief to unbelievable joy.  Minho couldn't breathe, the room was spinning. 

     "Newt—"  Harper gasped, sitting up in terror, "Minho.."  Her voice was quiet, drown out by the panicked doctors.  Harper was dizzy, her vision not quite focusing.  In the panic and arguing, a pair of arms grabbed her, dragging her roughly through the hallway.  She tried screaming but hands were over her mouth.  Her already existing panic just built on top of it.  Harper bit down on the hand over her mouth.  Hard, until she tasted blood.  The man recoiled, screaming out in pain.  "You little—"  The voice was unmistakable– Jansen. 

    Harper didn't wait for him to recover, she twisted her body hard, hearing one of the arms around her break.  Jansen screamed again, this time guards were alerted.  Harper pushed her confusion away, shoved her terror and panic deep down and just ran.  Minho collided with her in the hallway.  The boy had tears in his eyes, but there wasn't time to point that out now.  The pair ran through the hallways like it was the Maze again.  And despite herself, Harper couldn't help but smile. 

   Her eyes locked on the exit, but before they reached the door, launchers fired, hitting the backs of the Gladers.  No..
Harper collapsed on top of Minho with a scream.  Electric volts shot through her body, making it hard to even breathe.  Minho swore, scrambling to grab onto Harper.  Guards beat him to it. 

     Minho screamed, fighting against the arms holding him.  Harper was fighting their hold, kicking out, the guards holding her off the ground.  She knew this was it.  They wouldn't make it out now.

Tired of Running जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें