Visit from Gregory

Addison's P.O.V.

We arrived back at the sanctuary just as the sun was setting in the sky. The trees cast their shadows along the tall building of our home. My heart felt light as I stepped back onto the hard gravel beneath me. I had missed this place more than I wanted to admit.

I swept my hand across my forehead wiping some sweat away from my eyes. My breath hitched as I stared at the blood on my fingers. I knew it wasn't mine, but the blood of a man I once loved.

My lips part slightly allowing a sigh to escape into the humid air. I wish Trent had been able to let me go and move on. Instead, he got himself killed and ruined his chances of starting over.

A large hand placed itself on my shoulder, giving me some comfort.
" Are you ready to go take a shower? Maybe get some dinner before we try and get   some sleep?" He asked tiredly.

" Yes, I think a shower and food would be wonderful. Today is a day I wish to forget." I spoke softly, as I kept my gaze on the courtyard.

"I am sure you do. It's not every day that you see someone you once cared about die. You  going to be okay ?" His voice held sincerity, as he pulled me close to his chest.

Would I be?

"  I think I will be one day. Trent betrayed me, and that's something I have to deal with. He is gone now, and  I have to be okay with that, but it's hard. Like you said, I did love him.

I don't feel that way anymore about him so its easier for me to deal with, but I am sad he wasted his life."

"Just make sure you allow yourself to grieve his death. Don't push your feelings aside and act like they aren't fucking there. That will only make shit worse. I need you to be strong during the next few days, this war with Rick is going to be very fucking messy."

" I know that's true. We need to make sure we get the word out to all the other outposts. They all need to know we are at war."

We linked our fingers together and made our way inside. The cool air caressed my hot skin, cooling me instantly. We made it to our door, but Simon yelled across the hall, stopping us in our tracks.

"Negan! Gregory is here, and says he needs to speak to you about hilltop."

Rubbing his dirty hand across his beard, Negan gave an aggravated sigh.
" He can fucking wait. Set the old bastard up in a room and we can talk in the morning. I am too fucking tired to deal with his, weaselly old ass."

Simon rested his hands on hips while giving Negan an affirmative nod. He walked away with eager steps, as he hurried to complete his assigned task.

The next morning we all met in the meeting room. Eugene, Gavin, Simon, Regina,  Dwight, Negan, and I all waited for what Gregory wished to say. I knew he has to be here to sell out Ricks and Maggie's plan. Why else would he bother to make a trip here?

I placed myself next to Negan, trying to avoid looking at Dwight. He annoyed me every time I had to be in his presence. I don't trust him, and I know one day I will be proven right.

Gregory opened the door, then placed himself at the end of the long wooden table. Gregory's eyes became wide as he glanced at Lucille up ahead. He tried to act like he was not affected by clearing his throat and adjusting his old gray suit.

He placed his shaky hands on the table and finally made eye contact with Negan.

" Well, I would like to just start by saying thank you for having me here today. " He stated shakily.

Negan glanced at me smirking at how uncomfortable the old man is acting. Finally, Gregory mustered up some courage and tried to keep his voice even as he spoke.