Breaking his Heart

They say pain only hurts if you think about it, well I guess I am thinking about it too much. The throbbing in my headaches mercilessly, the constant rhythm of pain taunts me, depriving me of the sleep I so desperately need.

My eyes glance over at the clock on my nightstand again, for the one-hundredth time it seems, as I wait to take my next dose of medicine. Negans soft snores beside me, alert me he is at least getting some sleep.

My fingers trace the soft skin of his face as he sleeps. His warm breath caresses my fingers, sending goosebumps up my arm. The alarm finally goes off, giving me hope, that I can now reduce my pain level.

Negan' s hand slams the button, stopping the dreadful buzzing of the alarm.  His hands rub his eyes as he tries to wake himself up from his deep slumber. The covered lift off the bed as he grabs the medicine bottle and drops two tablets in his hand. His warm hand touches mine as he hands me them and the glass of water by my bed.

" Thanks," I whispered as he slowly got back in bed. 

" Your welcome.  Now, try and get some sleep.  " His words trailed off, as he once again falls back to sleep. 

I swallowed the medicine, then tried to go back to sleep, but my mind was not allowing it.  The conversation Negan had with Jadis played over and over in my mind. I know Rick wouldn't risk a move like this unless he was sure he could win. I am scared of what Negan plans on doing in order to keep the Alexandrians in line.

I finally decided I had enough, so I removed the covers from me and drops up. A wave of dizziness swept over me, ut quickly left once I stayed still. 
I grabbed my soft, blue robe on my chair, then wrapped it around me. I opened the door to our room and closed it quietly behind me. The dimly lighted hallway reminded me of a scary movie. Dark shadows cast an eerie feel to the building as I walk down the stairs. I push hard on the handle and breath in the cool night air.

Little puffs of air release from my lungs,  as cold air whips against my skin. The only light is the pale moon above me, giving off a soft glow tot he night sky. The stars twinkle, as trees sway in the night breeze, causing shadows to move along the ground. 

My eyes glance out into the woods, analyzing the thick brush along the edge. A tall figure stands amongst the brush, sending a chill down my spine. A jolt of fear rushes over me as the figure runs up to the gate.  I instantly,  run away until a familiar voice stops me.

" Addison! It's me, Trent !"

His deep voice soothed my soul, all the fear leaving my shaking frame. I turned around allowing my eyes to take in his appearance. His same blue eyes meet mine, full of love and concern.

My lips curved into a small smile as I  drank in his muscular form. His large hands grabbed the fence as his face pressed against the small hole he made. 

" Is that really you?" I whispered as I took small steps up to him.

His head shook, affirming his identity.  White puffs of air danced around his face as his chest heaved up and down from running up to the gate. 

My hands touched his, making my heart ache for his warm embrace.  His soft hand caressed my face, instantly warming me.

" How are you here? You should go before someone sees you."

" I came to tell you that I am going to save you.  I know it's risky, but it will be worth it,  in the end ."

I could feel eyes on me, Negans eyes,  so I knew I had to make Trent leave. 

I raised an accusing eyebrow"  Why are you so concerned now? You left without me before!" I snapped, anger laced in my voice.

" I am sorry.  I know we should have waited, but Sherry said that we had to leave before you guys got back. That  it was our only shot to be free."

I rolled my eyes at this.  " Why was Sherry separated from you guys ?"

" She wanted to get Dwight. She thought she could convince him to leave with her. We told her she was on her own. Did she make it back here to get him?"

Tears formed in my eyes as I remember her limp body in Dwight's arms.

" She is dead.  A walker got her. "

His face fell,  as he tried to grab my hand, but I pulled away.

I have to make him believe I blame him.

" If you had gone with her,  she wouldn't have died. "

" Addison, I am sorry. "

I wiped the tears from my eyes,  as I backed away.

"It's too late for that. You should go. Don't bother trying to save me! I don't want to end up dead like Sherry. "

His widen at my words,  as tears fall down his face. 

" I never wanted her to die.  I should have gone with her but I didn't.  I was scared of being killed.  I am sorry.  I love you so much. Please forgive me ."

I know this will hurt him, but it might save his life.  If he thinks I hate him.

I took in a sharp breath,  steadying my nerves.

"You're a coward! "

My words cut deep, as tears ran down his face.  His hands let go of the fence,  as he backed away into the dark night, leaving alone.

I hated the words I spoke but I knew I saved his life, for now.    I opened the door to the sanctuary and was meet with Negans amber eyes. 

" I see old Trent tried to take you back, but you turned him down. You just saved his miserable life.  Now, let's get back to bed. "

I hate what said, but I am grateful he believed me. I hope he stays away nowWhat I just said shattered my heart.  I am not sure it will ever be whole again.