Chapter 23

Happy Fourth of July!!! I hope everyone is having a spectacular week. As a special treat, I am posting this chapter earlier just for all of you. This one is a really special one for me because this is the scene that I dreamed up at the very beginning and inspired the whole story. Without having that dream, this story might have not ever been written. Everything has been building up to this point and the truth is about to be revealed. Fair warning: you might need to bring out some tissues for this one.

Let me know what you think!!

******************************************************************************************************************

               My whole body froze. All I could see was Jane’s sadistic smirk as she waited for me to respond to her. But I couldn’t. An icy cold chill ran through my veins making my breathing far more labored than it had been before. I even contemplated whether or not this was a new power of hers but it wasn’t that. It was my fear that was doing this to me.

            Embry growled menacingly from in front of me. “Don’t talk to her leech,” he seethed, his body starting to show visible signs of shaking. He probably didn’t even realize she had just called me a traitor in front of everyone. He was just protecting me.

            Jane turned her eyes on him, narrowing them slightly but keep the smirk on her face. “Embry, isn’t it? Well, I can see you’re very protective of little Lamia here. She’s your imprint perhaps,” she said her eyes flickering back to me. She already knew the answer to that I’m sure but Embry’s growl confirmed it. “Interesting as that is, I can talk to her if I please dog,” she continued.

            Embry actually tried to take a step forward but I held onto his arm. He was strong. Jane had the upper hand though with her power. The smile on Jane’s face dimmed slightly as she glanced at him once again. I could tell she was going to use her power and I wouldn’t allow that.

            “No,” I exclaimed pushing my way in front of Embry ready to take the brunt of her power but nothing happened. She glared at us but neither of us doubled over in the pain that I had become accustomed to. What? I didn’t understand until I looked over at where Bella stood. She was completely focused, her eyes everywhere at once. That’s when I remembered her power. She was shielding us.

            Jane’s eyes narrowed from frustration. She should have known that Bella would be shielding us. That’s how it happened in this meadow all those months ago. Alec and Demitri scanned our group but didn’t make a move to be beside Jane. I turned my attention back to Jane who tilted her head, sizing us up.

            “You all protect her, but know nothing about her. She has betrayed you all,” she said confidently. My fists clenched by my side. I could feel everyone’s eyes on me and Embry’s body tensed behind me.

            “What do you mean?” I heard Carlisle ask. It was the question that was on everybody’s mind. I needed to try to stop her from just coming out and saying it. There had to be a better way.

            “Jane, don’t,” I said quietly. She laughed, the musical sound of it bouncing off the trees around us. To anyone else it sounded magical but to me, it made my blood boil. She was enjoying doing this. Was this her plan all along? Tell them why I had initially come here and hope maybe they would take care of me? The realization that I wasn’t just going to go back to Volturi one day and leave them all wondering what happened. No, it was all going to be revealed here.

            “She hasn’t told you. Well, this is turning out to better than I imagined. I thought after showing up at your house a few weeks ago, you would have had the decency to tell them the truth,” Jane said. I bent my head in shame and guilt.