Chapter 18

Hello from the sunny, beachy Outerbanks!!! Like I mentioned in my message a few days ago, I am on vacation but I WILL be trying to update even though I am. It's been a while since I last updated and I'm sorry for the delay. Hopefully this chapter will make up for it. Not my best I don't think but whatcha gonna do? Remember to vote and feel free to comment at the bottom. It's much appreciated and I make it a point to answer everyone. Enjoy!

**********************************************************************************************************

          “It’s good to see you,” I said with a small bow of my head. My heart was beating a mile a minute and I’m sure she could hear it. Her smirk turned more dark telling me that my assumption was correct.

            “You can stop with the formalities Lamia. It’s not your style. Low-life is more you,” she replied. I clenched my fist by my side. She’s just trying to get to you, I thought to myself, trying to remain calm. I didn’t need to blow up at her. At the Volturi lair, the leaders kept her in check. Here, I was fair game.

            My eyes swept the room looking for anything that might incriminate me or Volturi guard that Jane might have brought along with her. I didn’t see either which made me relax but only just a little.

            “You smell like one of those mutts. Spending a lot of time with them?” Jane asked crinkling her nose in disgust. I remember Bella told me once that to vampire’s the scent of the La Push pack was unpleasant.

            “I do as my job requires. What better way to spy on the La Push pack and the Cullens then to pretend to be friends with them and infiltrate their inner circle?” I explained in a clipped tone. If I could keep Embry out of this, then I would. I’d rather be tortured until close to death than to let Jane hurt any of the pack and Cullens. As far as she needed to know, I had everything under control.

            “Hmm,” she commented while she flipped through the journal that she still held in her hands. She slowly started to circle around me, her eyes scanning everything that I had written in the journal. I kept my eyes straight ahead as she did so. She came to a stop in front of me once again and shut the journal. “It seems like you have been playing more than doing your job.”

            I swallowed loudly and turned my eyes to look into her’s. She is shorter than me so I had to look down slightly. She be small but she was powerful. Her red eyes glistened as she waited for me to respond.

            “What would give you such an idea? I don’t know what you are talking about,” I finally replied once I had calmed my breathing down. There was no reason to give her anymore suspicion that I had indeed not been doing my job. Or the fact that I was in love with one of the supposed enemy.

            Her eyes tightened slightly as she surveyed me. Her lips pressed tightly in a thin line. I kept my face blank, not showing her anything. Slowly I began to feel the pain filled tingles meaning that she was thinking about using her power on me. From my toes all the way to my head, it felt tiny pins were pricking at my skin. I bit the inside of my cheek to keep any sign of weakness from Jane’s watchful eyes.

            “You’re lying,” she said. The only warning I had of what was to come was the slight upturn of the corner of her lip before pain ripped through my body causing me to drop to my knees and let out a small cry. I need to come up with something fast.

Embry’s POV

            The meeting was long and boring. Every once in a while, Sam has to notion to have a pack meeting in order to change routes that we run on patrol. In order to keep the citizens of La Push safe, the pack goes mostly two at time to run the routes and along the border between Forks. The Cullens handle everything in Forks.