Part 51

Ian's POV

I couldn't believe who's standing in front of me now. I could see in his eyes he couldn't believe it too.

"Fate has been kind to you, little brother." He finally spoke with a Russian accent. The alley was dimly lit but I can still clearly see a scar on his right neck like a blade had run through his skin. He had brown eyes unlike me. I felt like I was glued to the ground. I don't know what to say, what to do.

"You're my brother." I said. I was speechless. He nodded.

"I can't stay here long..." He said. "I came here to warn you. Stop looking for me."

"But, you're my brother...I've always wanted to see you." I said. He seems so distant yet I can feel this connection with him. Like we were of one mind.

He shook his head. He glanced at Cheryl who was totally frozen, standing on the sidewalk.

"You have a beautiful girlfriend." He smiled. And he smiled just like me. "You don't want to mix my life with yours. It's too dangerous."

"Tell me about them... You can get out." I said, almost too desperately. His eyes furrowed.

"If it was that simple... No... I'm just happy you are safe." He said as he hugged me. "I have to go."

"Wait! What's your name?" I asked before he disappears into the shadows.

"Erik." He said. He continued walking until he's out of sight.

"This can't be the last time I'll see you right?!" I shouted, wishing he still heard me. I tried to breathe normally. I was really shocked. Cheryl hugged me, keeping me sane.

"You did see him, right? I wasn't hallucinating." I said. Cheryl nodded.

"He looks just like me..." I muttered.

"Yes. Are you okay? You look so pale." She said to me. "Let's go home."

"It's so unfair." I felt bad for my brother. Very bad. "I'm here living such an excellent life and there he is risking his life every second. I have to get him out. I have to find him again. I can't... I.."

"Sshhh... Slow down. Breathe..." Cheryl rubbed my back.

Cheryl drove me to her house.

"Come on." She pulled me inside. She let me sit on her sofa.

I feel like I'm not even in this world. Erik. Erik. My mind was somewhere else when Cheryl sat beside me and gave me a cup of tea.

"Thanks." I said.

"Let's just stay here." She said. I looked at her, confused for a moment. Oh right, we were supposed to go to a New Year's Eve party.

"I'll be okay in a minute." I forced a smile before I sipped some tea. I know how she loves her New Year parties. I can't mess that up for her.

"Well, maybe a distraction could help with the shock." She said. "I'll just get dressed." I nodded.

Erik's POV

I've been watching him for a while but it feels very different when I'm talking to him in person. I'm not usually kind to other people. Maybe it's because we were of the same blood so that's why I feel different about him. I almost got convinced I could get out of my situation. I shook my head. I grew up in that organization. A group of paid killers and smugglers. Men without an identity.

They didn't know we were twins. I was born earlier. I was the one taken away to repay my father's debt who I never even knew. What debt? They never told me. It made me very angry before. But, if you grew up in this life, you wouldn't even know what you're missing. I found friends. Well, of course. I got used to this lifestyle. I became tough and a man without mercy. But then, I realized I still have a heart because I kept this secret ever since I came to know of it.

Chush' Sobach'ya(Swear word). I heard footsteps behind me.

"Erik!" Ivan called out to me. "Khuda ty khodil?" (Where did you go?)

"Just went for a smoke." I replied.

"Time to go." He said. I nodded. I looked back at the scene behind me, fireworks were decorating the sky. Another year has finished. I got into the black van waiting for me.