Part 39

Ian's POV

I got up early and made some early breakfast. I kept worrying about last night. I don't know what she feels exactly. She got drunk to try and have it with me. I don't really know what to think.

I opened her bedroom door and placed her food by her side table. My feet were shaking, questioning if I should really be standing there. What if I'm not welcome? I felt like I had no right to be even in the same room with her.

"Ian..." Cheryl just woke in time before I got out of the room. "Oh god..." I didn't even notice she was covered with sweat. Bad dream?

"Hey... what's wrong?" I slowly walked to her. She didn't look at me like the way she did at the restaurant yesterday. The fear was gone. Now, I'm confused.

She pulled my hand and made me sit beside her. "I think I just had a bad dream."

"What happened? " I put an arm around her.

"It's weird. Really weird. There were people who wanted to do something bad to me. And they kept chasin' us. Then, I ran into a dead end." She looked at me, looking truly terrified.

"It's okay...none of it is real..." I tried to comfort her.

"But, it's not that bad. You were there. You bloody kicked the shit out of them." She smiled unexpectedly at me. "And somehow now I understand why you'd almost done what you did..." Then she started to talk fast, blurting out her thoughts. "I was scared before but I know you just wanted to do that because you wanted to protect your family. I just didn't expect you'd do something that big. But, I guess... it just seemed right for you then. You were furious and everything, you weren't in the right mind to even think about what you were doing. And I just left you alone with it. Not even thinking that at that night, you would go and do something like that. I could have stopped you but I was clueless. And I'm sorry. I should have known you better. I judged you afterwards, forgetting everything good about you. I'm so sorry." My heart broke when I saw her about to cry. She doesn't need to feel like that...

"It's okay. You don't need to be sorry. It's all my fault." I said, hugging her tighter.

She stayed silent for a while, calming herself down. "I wish we could forget all this and move on. But really you've got to stop torturing yourself with it starting right now. Okay?"

I just nodded. I'll try.

"Anyway, where were you last night?" She asked me, I guess to try and take us out of that conversation.

"Errm...I slept in the guest room." I said, smiling awkwardly.

"Ugh... You owe me." She just said.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"You owe me one cuddle night." She pulled away from me and poked my chest.

"What? Cuddle night?" I raised a brow at her. She grinned. My heart just melted. Back to normal so fast?

"You're supposed to cuddle me to sleep when you step into this house. Didn't you know?" She raised her eyebrows at me. "It's kinda like your duty." She said.

"Really? You never told me anything about that rule... " I said. "But, I did remember to make your breakfast." I handed her the plate.

"Yum... and oh yeah this one is another one of those 'rules'." She smiled, then glared at me. "So...you still owe me." She said stubbornly. I just laughed at her, a huge amount of nervousness and other bad shit gone away.

"Don't you have to go to the studio today??" I asked...

"Oh shit! I do! Can you please get my phone?"

I got her phone and checked her messages.

"Lily said you're gonna be so dead if you turn up late today." I read out loud.

"She always says that." She giggled. "What else?"

"That's it." I shrugged.

"Really??"

"Well... more messages from Lily. But I'm guessing they have the same message." I scrolled through her inbox.

"Chez... I've got to go in a few... So, you better hurry up if you want me to give you a ride."

"Oh... you can go ahead. I'll be fine." She set down her plate and went straight to the shower. "Got a new driver. Cuz... you know I'm going busy, busy again."

"Oh.Okay... Call me if you need me." I shouted so she could hear me.

...

By the time I'm done with work, I immediately went to check my dad in his house this time.

Like me, he doesn't really like hospitals too. Aww.

Somehow the clouds in my head are starting to lift. I'm gaining control over myself again. Thank God. And also thank God for not letting me become a murderer. Ugh... that was so messed up.

Joe stirred once I entered his bedroom.

"Hey dad... got you something to eat." I said before I start asking him some pretty serious questions. It's strange why he never talked about how he got into his situation.

"Thanks Ian." He smiled weakly at me.

"Are you gonna ever talk to me about what happened?" I couldn't help myself. I want to know now.

"Still not gonna let it go?" He mumbled.

"Dad... You. got. shot." I emphasized.

"I know... well, I guess it's okay for you to know -now that you're not totally crazy anymore." He said. Crazy? Really?

"Yeah... I won't do something stupid and reckless anymore. So, yeah... you can-you need to tell me now." I said.

Joe gave a long sigh.

"I do hope that you won't get mad at me, son." He looked serious now. And it made me very nervous all of a sudden...