Check Yes or No (Liam x Reader)

Author's Note: This was inspired by George Strait's song

***

Age 9

"Liam wait!" Y/N called after him as she got off the school bus. She grabbed his hand and led him to the playground.

If Liam's friends had been around, he would have pretended to be grossed out she was holding his hand, and they probably make a stupid remark about cooties. He was glad his friends weren't around because he secretly liked that she was holding his hand.

"Where are we going?" Liam asked as his small legs tried to keep up with her pace. His eyes landed on her perfect curls, bouncing with each step she took. Her hair was tied up with a pink ribbon, which matched her pink dress. "Ms. Hayes is going to be mad if we're late."

"It'll only take a second," she said as she led the way up the steps to the playground jungle. She let go of his hand before climbing into the tunnel. Liam didn't like that he wasn't holding her hand anymore, but he followed her in the tunnel until she stopped halfway through.

"What are we doing?" Liam asked, wondering what she had planned.

She smiled at him. She leaned in and quickly pecked his lips. It happened too fast, but it was enough to make Liam's cheeks flush the same color as her dress.

"Don't tell anyone," she giggled before she crawled out of the tunnel.

***

The next day

"Come inside," Ms. Hayes called out to her students running around the playground. "Recess is over!"

Across the monkey bars and merry-go-round, she spotted Liam chasing after Y/N. They were giggling, running, and weaving in between the playground. She couldn't help but smile at how cute they were. "Liam! Y/N!" She called out.

Y/N ran towards the classroom with Liam hot on her heels as she teased he couldn't catch her. They made it all the way inside until she sat in her assigned seat. "Beat ya!" She beamed with a cheeky smile.

"I let you win," Liam laughed as he slumped down in his desk behind hers. He was about to say something when Ms. Hayes called the class to face the blackboard.

Y/N pulled out her notebook and grabbed her pink crayon. She quickly scribbled on the white lined paper and folded it. She turned around to give it to Liam. He quickly grabbed it and unfolded it to read it.

Do you love me, do you wanna be my friend?

And if you do, well then don't be afraid to take me by the hand if you want to. I think this is how love goes, check yes or no

Liam stared at the two uneven boxes she drew. Before he could check yes, Ms. Hayes grabbed it. "There's no notes during class," she said and walked back to her front desk. "You two, detention after school."

Y/N turned around with a sad look on her face, feeling guilty she got him into trouble with her note. "Sorry," she whispered.

"It's okay," he smiled. "I get to see my girlfriend after school." Y/N's cheeks flushed as she turned around to look at the blackboard.

***

7 years later – Age 16

Liam's eyes stayed glued to his notebook as his hand moved the black pen against the paper. He was drawing random doodles around the edge of his history notes. He was so into the details of the wolf drawing he was currently working on, he barely heard the knock on the classroom door.