Lydia's Plan

"Can we take a break?" Y/N sighed after struggling with a practice chemistry equation Lydia gave her and looked up at Lydia. "We've been at it for almost two hours already."

"You're right," Lydia closed the chemistry textbook. "You're doing really well so far. You deserve a break. Would you like some brownies?"

Y/N mouth watered, eager for some of her favorite chocolate goodness. "Yessss, please." She exaggerated.

"Let's go make some." Lydia smiled as she led the way to the kitchen. She walked over to the pantry and pulled out a box of the brownie mix and vegetable oil bottle. "Grab an egg, will ya?" Lydia asked Y/N as she pulled out a large bowl and the measuring cup from the cabinet above the sink.

"Here you go," Y/N handed over the egg gently.

"Thanks."

"Shall I pre-heat the oven to 350?" Y/N asked as she leaned in to see the oven buttons.

"Yes, please." Lydia grabbed the cake mixer and plugged it in. Before she turned it on, she tossed in the ingredients into the large bowl. "Can you get the pan from the bottom cabinet," she motioned with her finger, "and spray the non-stick spray on it?"

"Of course," Y/N did as instructed. "Random question, but any chance you like your brownies with nuts?"

Lydia's red lips tugged a smile. "You read my mind. They're in the fridge in the first drawer."

Lydia turned on the cake mixer, blending all the ingredients together. Y/N tossed in some nuts as Lydia continued to stir the mix. After a few minutes, Lydia stopped and poured the brownie mix into the pan. Then placed it inside the oven. Lydia began to gather up the dirty dishes, turned on the faucet, and poured some dish soap into the plugged in sink. Grabbing the towel that was hanging off the oven's door handle, Y/N stood next to Lydia with the towel on her shoulder, ready to help dry off the clean dishes.

"So, how are you liking Beacon Hills?" Lydia asked as she began to scrub the dirty large bowl.

"It has the same small town vibe, but it's a lot different from Texas," Y/N grabbed the clean bowl and rinsed it before drying it off. "I mean like back at home, we live and breathe football, literally. Monday and Tuesday nights were middle school games, Thursday and Friday nights were high school football games, Saturdays were college football games, and Sunday was NFL. It's like a religion in Texas."

"Wow," Lydia whistled. "I knew Texas was big on football, but I didn't know it was that big of a deal."

Y/N nodded. "Here the biggest sport is lacrosse, a sport we don't have in Texas. It's weird. I guess, it'll take some time to get used to."

"Well you're only a sophomore, I'm sure you'll get used to it by the time you graduate in less than three years."

Y/N laughed, grabbing the clean measuring cup. "I sure hope so."

"What's your favorite thing about going to your high school football games?" Lydia asked handing Y/N the two silver beaters.

"Honestly?" Y/N saw Lydia nod and continued her answer. "Everything. How the whole town shuts down to attend the game. Where the adults and fans cheer for the kids, who are like celebrities around town. Whether you know them personally or not, everyone knows each kid on the football team. I know this sounds like it's nothing or not a big of a deal, but it's an amazing atmosphere that can't be explained, and something you have to experience yourself."

"No, I get it." Lydia rinsed out the sink. "Believe it or not, it sounds like lacrosse. You'll see for yourself when you attend your first game this week."