Paris

Liam's POV

The train station was filled with all different kinds of people. Some had their bags and luggage, others were saying their farewells before they boarded the train or waving goodbye as the train made its way out. I had my backpack strapped tight on my back, a duffle back slung over on my shoulder, and a suitcase in one hand. I was getting ready to say goodbye before hopping on the train.

My other free hand was intertwined with Y/N's as her other hand wrapped tightly around my forearm. As we walked towards my train, I held on to her hand tight, refusing to let it slip away from me before it had to. I didn't care if our hands were starting to sweat. I wanted to hold on knowing it was our last time we'd ever hold hands.

We came to a stop once we've reached my train. Without letting go of her hand, I let go of my suitcase and shoved my duffle bag more to the back before I grabbed her free hand and pulled her towards me.

She intertwined her fingers with mine as she leaned forward and pressed her forehead against mine. I locked eyes with her beautiful green eyes, which were filled with sadness. I was sure my eyes mirrored hers.

She closed her eyes and took in a shaky breath. "I don't want you to leave."

I exhaled deeply as her words went through me like a knife had struck my heart. "I don't want to either, but I have to go." I let go of her hand and tuck a strand of her bangs behind her ear before I slipped my fingers in her silky brown hair.

Her arms wrap around my neck and pull me into a tight hug, making me snake my arms around her waist, pressing her body against mine. I tuck my head in the crook of her neck, taking in her sweet and flowery scent as I peppered her neck with soft kisses.

Her hand begins to play with the hair at the nape of my neck, something she loves to do. Honestly, it's one of my favorite things she does. She does it with so much tenderness and love. It's amazing how a small action like that has a huge effect on me.

"Train Station #385 is now boarding."

"That's me," I pulled away after hearing the announcer's voice echo throughout the train station.

Y/N shook her head and immediately rested her forehead against mine again. I cupped her cheeks and wiped away the fallen tears with the pad of my thumb. She closed her eyes and took in a deep breath. "Liam, I love you."

The way she said it sounded more of a goodbye. It's hard to believe we both graduated three months ago and hopped on a plane to Europe. We backpacked for two whole months, visiting different cities every week. During the last month, we headed straight to Paris to Y/N's new apartment. She was going to start school in the fall and wanted to be moved in and settled a month before. I stayed and helped her move in and explore what she would call her new home for the next five years.

Before we both knew it, our last month together was over. We both agreed it wasn't going to be goodbye and we would somehow make it work from across the world. But looking into her sad and heartbroken eyes in the middle of the train station, I knew she was breaking her promise. And I didn't blame her.

Long distance relationships are hard; they're even harder when we're across the world from each other. Which is why I was also breaking my promise. As much as I love her, I couldn't have her waiting for me. She's in a new city and about to embark on a new chapter in her life, I wasn't going to hold her back from it, even if that meant she met someone else.

So like her, I said 'I love you' as a goodbye. "I always will," I whispered against her lips before giving her a long, passionate kiss. We both gave it everything we had. We said everything we had to say within our kiss. We said goodbye.

"Last call for Train Station #385!"

I pulled away and bit my lip, tasting the saltiness of our tears. I gave her one last hug before I grabbed my luggage and walked towards the train. Her feet quickly pattered against the floor. Suddenly, I felt her hand grab my free hand and walked with me until I stood in front of the train. She pulled me into a tight hug and I held on to her like my life depended on it. We held each other without saying a word. The hug seemed like it could last a lifetime, but it was only a few seconds.

I gave her another quick kiss and avoided looking at her. I couldn't look at her anymore. If I did, I knew I would drop all the bags, grab her hand, and run back towards the city. But I couldn't do that. My life was back in Beacon Hills and Y/N's was here in Paris.

I made my way towards the back of the cart and found an empty seat. I put my bags down and looked out the window. Y/N's arms were wrapped around her small figure, hugging herself tightly as she locked eyes with mine. Little black rivers were falling down her flushed cheeks and it killed me that I couldn't be the one to kiss them away.

As the train slowly started moving, the unthinkable happened. Y/N started running, trying to keep up with the train. My hand pressed against the window, trying to reach out to her, even though I knew it was impossible. Before I had the chance to run and hop off the train, she faded as the train went through a tunnel and out into the city, only to see Paris getting smaller and smaller by the mile.

I inhaled a shaky breath before turning away from the view out the window and look forward in front of my seat. My breath hitched as I saw Y/N sitting in the seat in front of me. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't understand how she was just running towards me just seconds ago, and suddenly on the train seconds later.

"Wake up, Liam." She smiled.

My eyebrows creased. "What?"

"It's just a dream." She kneeled in front of me, her hands on my shoulders before shaking me. "Wake up."

I looked down to see my body starting to tremble uncontrollably. The sound of my rapid heartbeat pounds against my eardrums. The beads of sweat on my forehead started sliding down and falling on my shirt. Suddenly, I'm very aware that every inch of my body feels like it's on fire.

"Liam, wake up!" Y/N's worried voice muffled my loud and quick heartbeat.

My eyes flew wide open as my chest quickly rose and fell, gasping for air. I sat up quick, feeling my heart thundering against tight chest.

"Hey, Liam, baby, you're okay," Y/N's hand rested on my cheek, wiping away the tears I didn't even know were present on my cheeks. Or was it sweat?

"It was just a bad dream," she soothed, her other hand rubbing small circles on my forearm.

I immediately pulled her in for a hug, making sure this was real, and I wasn't reliving one of my worst moments in life. I tangled my fingers in her hair, and closed my eyes as my nose caught a whiff of her coconut shampoo.

"Baby, you're shaking," she hugged me tighter. "What were you dreaming about?"

I shook my head against the crook of her neck. "I wasn't dreaming," I whispered as her fingers ran through my hair, trying to calm me down. "I was reliving one of the most painful experiences of my life." I looked up and saw her eyes were filled with so much worry. I hated that I caused that. Her eyes scanned my face, begging for an answer. "The day we said goodbye at the train station."

She closed her eyes tight, trying to push the memory away. She pulled me in to a tighter hug, and rested her head at the crook of my neck, peppering my neck with soft kisses. I engulfed her in my arms tighter, afraid to lose her again.

"Baby, you're here. You came back. We're no longer apart," she reminded me, her soothing words easing my shaken body. "We're together," she pulled back and rested her forehead against mine. Her warm breath fanned against my lips, making me eager to lean forward and kiss her.

"We'll always be together," she meshed her lips against mine, and suddenly every thing disappeared but her. All my worries washed away, my body stopped trembling, and there was a sudden wave of relief taking over.

She pulled back and lay back on the bed, pulling me to her chest. She wrapped her arms around me, one on my lower back and the other at my neck, playing with my hair at the nape of my neck. I buried my head into her chest and looked out our bedroom window, seeing the perfect view of the lighted Eiffel Tower. I took in a deep breath; it was just a nightmare. I was safe in my girl's arms in a new foreign city we now called our home.