Chapter Eighteen- Amplify

Start bij het begin

   Attached to it is a note. The note reads, 'Hey imouto-this will be beneficial in future fights. Don't open it until you need it. You might be confused at first, but you'll figure out what to do with it. Love, Kazuo.' I scowl down at it. Kazuo was too cryptic sometimes. And why didn't he just give it to me, instead of slipping it into my pocket without my knowledge? He most likely did it while we were hugging. That sneaky bastard.

   I pull out of my reverie, stuffing the scroll into my pouch. He did it for a reason, and a reason I would just have to find out. The fight was over- I lean forward and rest my elbows on the top of my thighs. I was tense. "Hey, Kimi-chan, you're gonna go next!" Naruto exclaims.

   "Hai," I nod. "I know."

   Naruto begins to say more, but then the proctor Hayate is speaking. "Okay then! We have one more fight left- this year there is an uneven number of participants, therefore one participant who won their previous battle will engage in a second match with the other remaining participant," he says, pausing a few times to cough, "and that is Dosu Kinuta versus Kimiko Kioku."

   Fuck, this is bad. Really bad. He defeated Chouji, even when he blocked out the sound, by transmitting his sound waves through the water in Chouji's body. So how would I do this? I was already weakened considerably. This would be extremely hard. As I stand from my seat, several eyes swivel to look at me. People were watching me. Tons of people would be watching.

   As I walk away, towards the entrance to the arena, Naruto shouts, "GOOD LUCK KIMI-CHAN!" I pause and look back. Naruto is grinning, giving me a thumbs up. Sasuke is simply smirking, but that was as close to a 'good luck' as I would get from him. Kakashi-sensei is watching me carefully, seeming uncharacteristically serious. As I meet his gaze, there's a shifting behind his mask and he's smiling at me. I smile softly back at my three team mates. Then I'm turning and leaving, going to the entrance. People observe me as I walk past, noting the blood on my shirt and how much of my body is wrapped in bandages. They were probably all thinking the same thing- she's going to lose.

--

   This fight is going to be brutal, I think. I'm standing a few feet away from Dosu, waiting for the signal to begin. I tally up my odds- I had the advantage of knowing what his fighting style was while mine was kept secret, but he had an even bigger advantage. He could manipulate sound waves, send them through water even. I could only hope he would toy with me, because if he did that would give me more time to think about how to defeat him. I could always try to destroy that tool on his arm, but I doubted that would work well. I would have to get close to him, and while I would have the advantage when it came to taijutsu, he would likely resort to desperate measures just to protect it.

   He pretty much controlled this battle, and he knew that.

   As soon as the 'go' signal begins, he smirks at me and jumps towards me, swinging his fist to punch me. I duck beneath it and swing my leg out to knock him off balance. He moves away to avoid it, but I manage to clip the side of his leg with my foot and he stumbles. He was surprised at my actions- I used it to benefit me. I direct a high kick to his face and a kick with my other foot towards his simultaneously, leaving my entire body airborne. I press my hand to the ground, like I'm doing a very awkward handstand, using it as support. As one foot makes contact with his face and then clears his face, I change the direction of my other after it connects with his stomach and I kick his jaw with all the force I can muster. He stumbles back from the force and I twist my body around, still only supported by my hand, so I perform a back flip and land safely on my feet.

   My chest heaves from the exertion, and my wounds have already re-opened. He's gripping his jaw, visible eye wide with surprise. Blood seeps through the bandages surrounding his mouth. That was good- the force behind that kick definitely hurt. The power and momentum behind it probably knocked a few teeth loose and could have even fractured part of his jaw. "How?" he murmurs.