Chapter 26

I looked around one more time as i walked home. Alone.

I had arrived to school in Justin's car so i had to leave mines home.

However, he had football practice and couldn't drive me back.

i was going to catch a ride with Beth but she left before i had a chance to. And i sort of failed to mention that to Justin, so here i am.

Walking home alone.

I was fine until a few minutes ago when i felt someone following me.

In fact, i could still hear the footsteps of someone but every time i would i turn around, no one was there.

I picked up my pace and rushed home.

<><><>

I sighed in relief once i made it back home and threw myself on the couch.

I was probably just being paranoid.

I shook off the thought and walked to the kitchen.

I took out a pop tart and went back in the living room, turning on the tv when someone knocked at the door.

I groaned and stood up.

I opened the door to a sobbing Elena, mascara running down her cheeks and staining her cheeks black.

I gasped at the sight of her and immediately pulled her in the house, closing the door behind us and turning around to hug her.

She sobbed on my shoulder and probably ruined the shirt with her makeup but i couldn't care less. Her tiny body shook as she hiccuped repeatedly and all i could do was stroke her head in what hopefully was comfort for her until her cries ceased.

"What happened?" I finally asked her once she pulled away and wiped her face.

"I need to tell you something." She choked out, sniffing.

"Okay, let's sit down." I told her as i led her to the couch. "What happened E? You're worrying me."

"Im sure you noticed how strange I've been acting lately." She struggled to say.

I nodded my head hesitantly, letting her know she could go on.

Though I hadn't commented much on it, Elena had been acting strange. Although Beth had enough personality to fill up a whole country, Elena's lack of presence at our usual hang outs did make a difference. She was always somewhere else, or couldn't hang out. When she was around, she was quiet and distant. I felt like a bad friend now, seeing the state the blond headed girl had been in this entire time and i didn't know.

I just assumed she needed her space. Gosh was i wrong.

"Sof...im in big trouble." She started, biting her lip anxiously as she looked around her in an almost paranoid state.

"What do you mean Elena?" My heart was beating fast, not knowing what my friend would say. What could it have been that would get her this scared? I questioned myself but could only wait patiently as the girl mustered up the courage to speak.

"I've been keeping a secret for the longest of times. And now..someone, I don't know who, is blackmailing me about telling everyone. A-and I don't want you to hate me but i cant-" She broke off into another sob and i stroked her hand as she tried to continue. "I cant keep it to myself any longer."

"You can tell me anything Lena, you know this." She nodded her head and took a deep breath to calm herself.

"I've been seeing someone." She started.