Chapter 14

Its August 23rd. My birthday.

At home, my dad just kissed my cheek and rushed to work and my mother ignored me, as usual.

Selena left a post it note on my table saying 'happy birthday sis' and a smiley face. I could hear her lingering outside my door, probably wanting to say something but she didn't. She must not feel close enough to me yet.

Just like every single other year.

I chose to not celebrate my birthday. It made me feel like a burden every year and it put me in a bad mood. A normal day with my friends was enough for me.

Elena and Beth would decorate my locker and sometimes take me out to eat. Alec always tries to get me gifts but every year I tell him no.

This year, i was turning eighteen. I was only hoping that this year would be the same.

I walked down the halls as i gave smiles to all the people that greeted me.

Once i was by my locker, i noticed that for the first time on August 23rd, my locker was empty.

No obnoxiously pink happy birthday sign that Elena always made it her duty to stick on. No funny message Beth would always write with a dark marker that i would have to rub off the next day.

Nothing. They must have forgotten. I tried not to be disappointed because i knew i shouldn't have any expectations. So i let out a sigh and put a smile back on my face.

I took out the book that i needed from my locker and started walking to my first class, not wanting to stand in the crowds of people anymore.

As i started walking, a hand softly gripped my shoulder, stopping me. I looked up to see Justin with a grin of his face.

He gave me a side hug and kissed my cheek twice. I tried not to act surprised at his action. Maybe we're pretending again.

"Happy birthday 'Fie." He said. Oh.

"You remembered?" I asked trying my hardest not to show how happy it made me. Atleast someone remembered. Never thought it would be Justin, but still.

"Of course i did. I mean, you remembered mine." He said as he winked.

I groaned and slapped my forehead lightly.

"I really regret sending that text now." I stated.

On January 10th i sent a text to Justin saying 'happy birthday J'. It was his eighteenth birthday and I felt like being nice for once. He was in New York and obviously we weren't communicating at the time so I immediately regretted sending it but it couldn't be undone because he had already seen it.

And he remembered that apparently.  

"Don't, it actually made my day. Knowing that a certain loser remembered my birthday even though I embarrassed her in front of everyone and stopped being her friend for no reason." Justin said.

"Call me that one more time bitch i dare you."

                <<<<<<<<<<