Chapter 17

"Dad, whats wrong?" I asked, placing my hand on his knee to still it from bouncing up and down. They were making me feel anxious.

"Well, you see-" my dad started. "Uh i Dont really know how to say this- basically- i dont wan't you to think any of this changes the way i love you as your father .. how do i put it into words um-"

"Oh my God, just get on with it,"  My mother interrupted him, quite annoyed. "You're adopted Sofia."

I almost laughed. "What?" I asked instead.

"You are not our child." My mother repeated. "And apparently hes still a child and can't put it into coherent words for you." she rolled her eyes.

I opened my mouth to say something but no sound came out.

"And i'm not telling you this to hurt you, but simply because your biological mother has been asking around for you and i wouldn't want you to hear about it from anyone else." Catherine added, trying to seem caring but i knew better than to think it was genuine.

"Your kidding, right?" I asked them as i laughed, my voice trembling and void of amusement.

Who just casually says something like that.

My parents both shook their heads.

"What? Im sorry, but what the fuck?" i raised my voice.

My mother raised her her eyebrows. "Could you not have guessed?"

"No! Fucking hell -why did it take you so long to tell me?" I asked as tears welled up in my eyes.

"Becaus-" my mother started.

"Because we knew it didn't affect our love for you." My dad interrupted. I scoffed. Like hell it didn't. "But we could tell you were slowly starting to notice anyway-"

"What do you mean starting to notice, i was no where near noticing. You literally just pulled this out of both your asses after 18 years and decided to hit me with it." I shouted.

"Sofia, please dont make a scene-"

"No! No, how dare you tell me not to make a scene?" I shouted, standing up from my seat. "I have a right to be mad at you guys for this. I cant believe it-"

"Sofia." Catherine interrupted me, standing up. "We have raised you and we have cared for you like our own daughter." I laughed. "Stop being disrespectful-"

"Like your own daughter?" I repeated, raising an eyebrow. "You mean to tell me, you've been treating me the same way you treat Selena?"

"Well, no," Catherine started, scoffing. "Obviously it's not going to be the same, thats my little girl.."

"So you admit you dont think of me as your daughter?" I questioned again, trying my hardest to ignore the pang of hurt shooting biles up my throat. I couldn't cry now, i'd look so pathetic to her.

She opened and closed her mouth at me like a fish.

I hummed and nodded my head, looking up to dry the tears welling up in my eyes.

"Right, ill get out of your hair then." I rushed to turn around and grab my keys off the counter in the hallway, ignoring my father, or well, not my father that was trailing behind me.

"Sofia please," his voice seemed desperate and i felt terrible that i was putting him in the same position as my mother since he truly did treat me like his own child. Thats why i stopped and turned around, to give him a hug.