Of Love And Hate, You Were My Greatest Mistake ~28~

Start from the beginning

“I don’t know what you’re doing but it’s freaking me out.” Caleb told her. He looked torn between laughing and calling an intervention.

“Fairy,” Jace had finally reached them and was watching Laila in disgusted confusion. “Get your stuff, we’re leaving.”

“Where?” It was her turn to look confused. “You don’t have a car.”

He pulled his keys from his backpack and held them up. “You’re coming with me. Hurry the hell up, will you?”

“I can’t, I’m riding with Caleb.” Laila said happily, grabbing Caleb by the arm and pulling him to her side. She had never been so glad to have him near her.

“Oh, you can take her. It’s cool.” Caleb offered.

“Caleb!”

“C’mon,” Jace took hold of the strap on Laila’s bag and carelessly pulled her along. She glared over her shoulder as her supposed best friend laughed.

“I hate you! I’m being kidnapped and it’s all your fault!”

“You exaggerate, you’ll be fine.” He chortled. “I’ll tell Mandy you said bye!”

“I hate him,” Laila grumbled. She snatched her strap from Jace’s grip and put a good four feet between the two of them. “Where are we going?”

“To get a ring.”

“I don’t even wear rings. You wear jewelry? I never noticed.” She looked at his hand curiously and he looked at her like she had just asked what year it was.

“It’s not for me, stupid. You need an engagement ring.”

Her lips formed a perfect ‘o’ as she caught onto what he was saying. “So which one’s making you do this?” She asked. She already knew it couldn’t be his idea.

“Rose.” He grunted. He pulled his keys from his bag as they approached the lot. 

“I figured.” Laila reached out just in time to catch the motorcycle helmet he tossed her way. “You actually brought an extra one today?” She asked, surprised. “I’m guessing Rose made you do that, too.”

“Just get on, will you?” He threw a leg over the bike and she hesitantly straddled it behind him. “And don’t hold on so tight this time.”

“But you told me to last time so I wouldn’t fall off and die.” She reminded him.

He laughed and shot a smile over his shoulder. “I know.”

“You’re trying to kill me!” She accused. Her annoyance quickly turned to fear when he shoved the keys in the ignition and revved the engine. “Please don’t go so fast this time,” Her tone couldn’t have changed faster, and his laugh couldn’t have been more demented as he took off at an impossible speed.

“Sorry, couldn’t hear you.” His voice barely made it over the roaring wind.

“I hate you!” She screamed. She squeezed herself against him as tight as she could and shut her eyes. “If another cop pulls us over I am not doing anything to save you this time!”

“You want me to go faster?” He asked, glancing over his shoulder. Her eyes shot open and she frantically shook her head. He actually slowed to a stop, however, as they came to a red light.

“Thank fucking god,” She breathed, relaxing against him. She knew it wouldn’t last long, but the brief break was a welcome one. “I’m seriously not helping you if anything happens.”

A loud horn sounded from just beside them and Laila jumped as Jace cooly looked over.

“Hey,” A tinted window rolled down and a guy, probably around mid twenties, leaned his head out the passenger’s side.