Of Love And Hate, You Were My Greatest Mistake ~30~

i have to say this is probably my favorite chapter so far (: enjoy!

*****

Dario gently shut the door once the three of them had entered Rose’s house. Laila dumped her bag near the door before following them to the sitting room. Dario was seated opposite Jace, one leg crossed over the other and his hands placed carefully in his lap.

“Would you like anything to eat or drink?” Laila offered. She knew the house just as well as her own, so she had no problem fixing snacks should he want any.

“Just some water, please.” Dario requested.

“You want something, hon?” She asked Jace, who merely shook his head. “Okay, one second.” She smiled at Dario before excusing herself to the kitchen. She quickly poured a glass of ice water for him and a cup of organic iced tea for herself, then returned and seated herself beside Jace. She reached across the table and handed the water to Dario, who seemed relieved to have her back. Probably because Jace had been coldly staring at him the entire time she was gone.

“Thank you,” Dario took a sip before setting it on a coaster. “So I have a few questions for the two of you. Naturally they’ll be about one another.”

“Oh,” Laila flawlessly hid the nerves from her voice.

“Great.” Jace muttered. She shot him a look that came off as loving, though it was easy for him to see the silent threat behind it.

“How did you guys meet?”

“Online.”

“Through Rose.”

They spoke at the same time, and Jace smiled before continuing. “She was in one of those chat rooms, you know, the kind desperate people go to for a good shag--”

“He’s totally kidding,” Laila cut in, laughing and placing a hand on Jace’s knee. “Rose introduced us after she and my mom decided we’d make a good couple. The first time we talked was over Skype. Jace likes to exaggerate and say it was a chat room. It wasn’t.”

“She used to go on those a lot,” Jace’s lie came off completely convincing, and Dario looked at Laila in surprise.

“Really?” He pushed his glasses up as he pulled out a notepad and pen. “Interesting.”

“It was more out of boredom. I wasn’t really looking for boyfriends online,” She had no choice but to go along with it now. She shot Jace a glare the second Dario looked down to write. If he wanted to play dirty she had no problem fighting back.

“And how did your relationship progress between then and when you met in person?”

“Well,” Laila was determined to answer before Jace, “I found out he’d been talking about me nonstop. Rose said he called her every morning to see how I was. He was really shy at first. It was adorable,” She giggled and smiled, “He even sang to me one day. He wrote me a song to say he’d like to get to know me better. I guess he was too nervous to just say it normally.”

“That’s... different. I’ve never heard of that in all my years of doing this,” Dario mused. He looked down to write again and Jace shot Laila a nasty glare.

“That’s a lie, I never-”

“I love you too, babe,” She interrupted him with a peck on the lips, which only seemed to aggravate him more. She didn’t acknowledge the unexpected wave of butterflies it brought.

“So all in all, how long have you actually been together?”

“About a year,” She quickly replied.