Of Love And Hate, You Were My Greatest Mistake ~39~

sorry for the wait!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Laila swiftly unlocked her door and led the way inside, going through plots in her head at record speed. She only had a few seconds to come up with something believable and at least somewhat time consuming, and for once she was drawing a blank.

“Shall we go upstairs, then?” Dario asked, shutting the door once he and Jace were inside.

“Oh noo!” She wailed, coming up with something just in time. “Oh, this is so embarrassing,” She shot a distraught look at the stairs and let her bag droop, though she was careful not to let anyone see what was inside.

“What is?” Dario gave her a quizzical look, which was mirrored by her supposed fiance.

“I did my laundry last night and everything is still hanging up to dry! Including my,” She paused before whispering the word, “Undergarments.” She pretended to be completely flustered and brought a hand up to hide her face. “This is horrible,” She mumbled, muffling the words behind her hands.

“You can take a moment to put those away, if you’d like.” Dario offered. He seemed desperate to calm her down.

“Really?” She dropped her hands and immediately perked up. “Thank you so much! It’ll just take a couple minutes,” She turned and bounded upstairs, holding onto her bag like her life depended on it. Her life didn’t depend on it, but both her criminal record and Jace’s citizenship sure did. She was willing to risk neither one. She didn’t bother with the door and went straight to her bed, emptying the bag’s contents in a hurried frenzy. She spread everything across the red covers and did a quick inventory. 

Don’t panic, she told herself, just start throwing shit! Throw it everywhere!

She grabbed her laptop and pulled it open, then opened The Dark Knight and set it on top to look recently watched. She shoved the socks off her bed without a second thought, hoping to pass them off as a forgotten part of her laundry. Thankfully the size made it obvious they weren’t hers. She snatched up the two shirts and tossed one atop her pile of beanbags before throwing the other just inside her closet, then frantically turned back to her bed for more. She grabbed the drumsticks and set them beside her keyboard, keeping them safe since she knew they were a little special. Or really important, anyways. She picked up the axe next, thankful she was almost done, and ran to her vanity to shove some body sprays aside. She placed the axed right in the middle.

“Crap crap crap,” She heard the sound of footsteps and literally ran to her nightstand with his school picture in hand. She yanked the drawer open and started shoving things aside, then pulled out her beloved sticky clay meant to neatly attach things to any clean service. She pulled a portion off and stuck the picture to the wall beside one of Barbra Streisand. The footsteps were getting closer now, and she ran to her dresser to pull a drawer open.

“May we come in now?”

She spun at Dario’s voice, shoving something down in the drawer behind her. “Yeah, I just finished.” She smiled and pushed the drawer shut, pretending it was the very last of her laundry. “Sorry about that. I really hate for anyone else to see my laundry. My mom says it’s indecent.”

“Understandable,” Dario walked right in and started looking around. Jace walked in behind him, took one look at the room, and then did a complete double take at half the things inside it. He shot her a ‘what the fuck’ look that she completely ignored.

“Sorry it’s messy. I always tell Jace not to leave his stuff around but he never listens. And he’s always drumming on everything with these stupid things,” She walked to her keyboard and picked up a drumstick, pretending to be affectionately annoyed. “At least he doesn’t bring his guitars.”