Of Love And Hate, You Were My Greatest Mistake ~6~

“Hello, class. I’m Ms. Garcia. You probably all noticed this, but I’m your creative writing teacher for the year,” She paused as a few students laughed. “We’ll be spending a lot of time on stories, poems, and whatever else you feel like writing. It’s a bit of a free class as long as you get some writing done. We’ll all take turns presenting our work, you can choose the one you wish to present. So now we’re gonna start off by getting to know each other a little bit. Anyone wanna start?” 

A hand shot up in the front row, attached to a know it all looking girl with large glasses. “I will!” She volunteered.

“Kiss ass.” Jace muttered. Laila did her best not to laugh, though Amanda couldn’t hold in a small giggle.

“Okay, you’re our example. Get out a piece of paper and a pen or pencil.” The girl shifted through her backpack and pulled them out. “Now write down two truths and a lie about yourself, but don’t let anyone know which is which. Read them out loud, and we’ll guess which one is the lie.”

The girl scribbled across her paper and then slammed the pencil down, beaming up at the teacher. “I love school. I haven’t gotten less than an A plus since high school started, and I love to party!” She exclaimed, nearly throwing the paper at Ms. Garcia. Ms. Garcia patted the girl’s eager hand away before turning to the class.

“Any guesses?”

“I bet the party one’s completely true.” Jace spoke up, his sarcasm unmistakable. This time Laila couldn’t hold back her laughter. She quickly clamped a hand over her mouth, not wanting to make the girl feel bad.

“No, that’s the lie,” The girl looked disappointed in Jace for getting it wrong. 

“Okay,” Ms. Garcia quickly cut in as students began to stifle laughter. “Everyone get out a piece of paper and do this with your tables.”

“Can I have some paper?” Laila turned to Amanda.

“You really need to start taking your classes more seriously young lady.” Amanda scolded. She fished out a piece of paper and pen and handed them to Laila.

“When they all turn to theatre and dance classes I will.” Laila grinned and began writing on her paper, printing three neat lines of two truths and one lie. She looked up to see everyone still writing, minus Jace. He was already finished, and for some reason staring at her.

“Done!” Caleb announced, throwing his paper in the middle of the table.

“I’m pretty sure you’re supposed to keep that.” Laila laughed at Caleb’s bewildered face. He took the paper back as everyone else laid down their writing utensils.

“Me first!” Amanda exclaimed. She didn’t wait for anyone to protest. “I’m scared of global warming. I’m ADD. And I hate twilight. You two can’t answer.” She pointed to Caleb and Laila, waiting for Jace and Wes, the guy from the soccer team, to guess.

“You’re not ADD..?” Wes guessed. 

Amanda shook her head. “Yes I am! I love twilight. That one was a lie.”

“The biggest lie of your life.” Laila cut in. Caleb laughed loudly, nodding in agreement.

“You go.” Amanda huffed, snatching Laila’s paper off the table. Laila pulled it back and began to read.

“I love a challenge. My favorite color is blue. I have two tattoos.” She set the paper back down and looked at Wes and Jace expectantly.

“You don’t have tattoos,” Jace told her, eyeing her up and down.