Of Love And Hate, You Were My Greatest Mistake ~23~

thanks for the votes and comments, i uploaded sooner just like i said! yay me ^^

“So yeah, that’s it.” Laila concluded. She had spent the past few minutes explaining everything to Wes while Jace sat around and drank all of her mom’s Pepsi. 

“So you’re really getting married.” Wes said, grinning ear to ear. “This is awesome! But I can’t tell anyone?”

“No.” Jace thrust his empty Pepsi can in Laila’s hand because she just happened to be within reach.

“What do I look like, your maid?” She took it anyways, ignoring Jace’s rude ‘yes’ as she rinsed it out and placed it on the counter to be recycled.

“This sounds fun.” Wes enthused, leaning forward in his seat. “But you have to do something for me before I agree not to tell.”

“What is it?” She groaned, leaning tiredly against the counter.

“If you blackmail me I’ll kill you.” Jace warned. Laila couldn’t tell if he was serious or not, but she had a feeling he was.

“What? No.” Wes frowned, as if he hadn’t even considered the thought, “I just want a kiss.” His frown turned to a boyish smile as Laila’s mouth dropped.

“Are you serious?” She scrunched up her nose when he nodded. “No!”

“Why not? He got one, I want one too!” Wes gave her puppy dog eyes, and for a second she almost caved.

“No.” She repeated. “Go away. I have to do homework or something.”

“You don’t do homework.”

“I have to learn a new song for musical theatre.” She shot Jace a glare for even insinuating she was lying. “That’s homework. I do theatre homework. So go away.”

“After I get a kiss.” Wes laughed as Laila stubbornly shook her head. “Fine, I’ll go. But only because I want our first kiss to be special and not rushed.”

“Go away!” She couldn’t keep from laughing even as she said it. She shooed them both toward the door, though Jace didn’t need any encouragement. He practically knocked her over in his eagerness to leave.

“See you Monday.” Wes lifted her off the ground in a massive hug. 

“Bye.” She smiled happily and waved before shutting the door. Her mind immediately began to wander as she ascended the stairs. She touched her lips again, remembering the feel of Jace against her, his lips on hers and the way his arms felt wrapped around her.

Okay, no more Jace. Nobody cares about him, she told herself. 

She collapsed on her bed and stared at the ceiling until she remembered she was still in her cheer uniform. She grudgingly got up and walked to the closet, then pulled it open to find an outfit. She was in the process of changing when a stream of steady, rhythmic, and ridiculously loud drumming picked up next door.

She hastily yanked her dance shorts up and dropped the shirt she had chosen on her carpet, all plans of putting it on forgotten. She spotted Jace across the way playing his drum set, which he had apparently felt the need to set up as close to her window as possible. Wes was standing beside him, nodding along to the beat and doing hand motions identical to his. She threw her window open and leaned out, both hands planted on the windowsill. She knew it was the only way to be heard over the loud commotion.

“Do you really have to play every obnoxious instrument in the world?” She shouted, annoyance clear in her voice. “Why the hell can’t you play a flute or a fucking banjo?”