Of Love And Hate, You Were My Greatest Mistake ~7~

Laila kept focus while she helped the girls catch on to the choreography. It wasn’t until they had separated the girls into groups of five and called the first group forward that she glanced toward the soccer players again. They were still in a clump talking, and as she watched the coach blew his whistle and they all started around the field at a well paced jog. She saw Jace toward the front, beside Wes and amongst some of the more popular players.

He’s fitting in real fast, she thought to herself, maybe he’s actually nice to those people.

But she doubted it. He didn’t seem the type to be nice to anyone besides his own reflection. She turned back toward the first group to realize they were actually on the third by now. Had she really been staring that long?

“What do you think about her?” Katie whispered, leaning closer to Laila. Laila looked the girl over. Her form was good, flexibility seemed to be good, but her energy was weak.

“I don’t know, she’s not that entertaining.” She whispered back.

“I concur,” Ramani put in, leaning toward the two. “I like that one better.” She motioned toward a black haired girl on the side, and Katie nodded in agreement. Just as the group finished the soccer team went running past, and all the girls stopped to watch.

“Hi ladies,” Wes called out flirtatiously as he passed. His eyes caught Laila’s and he grinned. “Hi Laila!” He nudged Jace, who in return shot a quick glare at Laila before turning away. The entire team passed within several seconds and the girls slowly turned their attention back to the task at hand, though Ramani’s attention was last to be won.

“Um, can we go now?” A brunette snapped, glaring at all three girls in charge. Laila shot her a dirty look as Katie nodded. Way to make a good impression, you already seem like a bitch, Laila glanced at Katie to see she seemed to be thinking the same thing. Laila did her best to watch all five girls objectively, though it was a bit hard seeing as she had already taken a strong disliking to the brunette. She was surprisingly good, however, and Laila grudgingly had to admit she deserved to make the squad from what she had seen so far.

“Okay, everyone up!” Katie called, motioned for all four groups to come together once the last had finished. “Laila’s gonna teach you a tumbling routine and we’ll see you one at a time. Go ahead,” Katie stepped aside to let Laila forward, who had been looking forward to this part all day. Tumbling, aside from singing and ballet, was just about her favorite thing in the world. It gave her an adrenaline rush like nothing else ever could, even more than being onstage. 

She stepped in front of all the girls as they watched in anticipation. She had come up with this routine the weekend before, Katie having told her to make it as difficult as possible. She had happily done so, eager to weed the weak girls out nice and early. She glanced to her side to see the soccer team coming around on their third lap, but she didn’t pay them any mind as she took her stance near the edge of the bleachers. She took a deep breath and sprung into a flawless toe touch, flipping herself straight from her landing into two quick backflips, a third twisting flip, a cartwheel, a handless cartwheel and finally landing in a perfect split. She stayed for a moment before standing and grinning. She was met by many catcalls and whistles from behind her. She turned to see the soccer team running past, many of them watching her with hungry eyes and impressed smiles. Jace was in the front, scowling as usual. She ignored him and turned to walk back to Katie.

“That was perfect,” Katie smiled at her before facing the girls. “Anyone wanna try? It doesn’t have to be perfect, we just wanna see potential.”