Of Love And Hate, You Were My Greatest Mistake ~4~

Monday morning Laila woke up bright and early. She climbed out of bed and stumbled into the shower, and fifteen minutes later she emerged refreshed and wide awake, ready for her first day as a senior. After she finished straightening her multi colored hair she walked back into her room. She was in the middle of choosing an outfit when her mom walked into the room behind her, still half asleep.

“Do you need a ride to school today?” She offered, rubbing her eyes with one hand and holding a steaming cup of coffee in the other.

“No,” Laila shook her head. “Caleb’s getting me and Mandy. Thanks though.” She smiled as her mom nodded and walked out the room, no doubt to sit in front of the television until she fully woke up. “This should work perfectly,” Laila announced, pulling on a lavender off the shoulder sweater that read “Get Off My Stage” across the chest, a short white skirt, lavender over-the-knee leg warmers, and white running shoes. She did her makeup in the mirror before grabbing her oversized bag, which was stuffed with the day’s outfit changes, and running downstairs. 

“Bye mom!” 

“Bye, have a fun first day!” Her mom shouted back just as she closed the door behind her. Right on time, Caleb’s blue Ford Focus came speeding down the street and pulled to an abrupt stop at Laila’s curb. She grinned and pulled the door open, climbing into the front seat and tossing her bag into the back.

“Caleb!” She exclaimed, throwing her arms around him. He flipped his light brown hair out of his eyes and grinned.

“Cute outfit.” He looked her up and down in approval before hitting the gas, stopping only a few blocks later in front of Amanda’s house. He honked loudly before turning back to Laila. “So what’s your schedule?” He asked eagerly.

“P.E., advanced ballet, intermediate drama, english, advanced musical theatre, and advanced jazz. And then of course cheer.” She listed it all off in one breath, having memorized her schedule the moment it had been emailed to her the night before. “What’s yours?” She looked at Caleb, an eager smile on her face.

“I don’t remember. Here,” He pulled a folded up paper from his pocket and shoved it into her hand. “I printed it.” He grinned as Amanda’s front door slammed shut, followed by the sound of loud shouting from the living room window.

“I know mom, I’ll be home right after drama club!” Amanda shouted over her shoulder, nearly sprinting to the car. She yanked the back door open and dove inside, slamming the door behind her. “Drive.” She ordered, pressing her hand into the back of Caleb’s headrest.

“Yes ma’am.” Caleb grinned and hit the gas, speeding toward the Coronado bridge. “What was it today?” He asked, glancing at Amanda in the rearview mirror.

“She thinks I’m gonna sneak off with some random boy after school.” She smiled wryly. Her parents went on tangents like this everyday, so it was nothing new. “What class do you guys have first?” She asked.

“I have P.E. and Caleb has AP french.” Laila answered for him, holding the crinkled paper in her hand. “Then I have ballet, drama, english, musical theatre, and jazz. He has ballet, drama, english, AP biology, and jazz. And then of course--”

“Cheer!” Caleb interrupted, grinning widely. “I can’t wait. What’s your schedule, Mandy?”

“P.E., italian 5-6, drama, english, bio, honors pre cal, and drama club after school. I’m already ready to go back to bed.” Amanda complained, toying with the zipper on her bright blue and yellow flowered backpack as she leaned into the back seat. 

“You know what will wake you up?” Caleb reached for his ipod just as Laila groaned in exaggerated annoyance. “It’s Britney, bitch!” He shouted as Piece of Me blasted through the car. Laila couldn’t help but feel relieved when they finally reached the school parking lot twenty minutes later. She grabbed her bag from the back seat and climbed out, slamming the door behind her. She waited for Caleb and Amanda to go to either side of her before setting off for the school entrance.