Of Love And Hate, You Were My Greatest Mistake ~34~

Laila entered the drama room with Amanda at her side, and both immediately went to Caleb.

“How was PE?” His voice was singsongy as he stretched out, leaning back on his palms.

“Fun,” Laila smiled as she took a seat beside him.

“Only because you were showing off the whole time,” Amanda sat opposite them both.

“So? Showing off is fun,” Laila draped her legs across Amanda’s, “Especially when it makes Jace look dumb.”

“Ooh, what happened with Jace?” Caleb sat up just as Ms. Lewis entered the room.

“Goodmorning my blooming butterflies,” She greeted the students dramatically and took her place at the front of the room. “Today we’re doing an exercise I reserve specially for my advanced classes. It’s called the trust walk.”

“Partners?” Caleb asked excitedly, looking to both his best friends for whoever answered first.

“Nah uh, Caleb. It won’t be so easy this time,” Ms. Lewis cut in before either could respond. “I’m choosing this year. It’s time everyone learned to trust each other, not just best friends of almost four years.” She was obviously referring to the three of them, and Caleb smiled sheepishly.

“Do we get any say at all?” Some girl asked from across the room. The classroom door opened, and everyone turned to see Jace confidently stroll in. Laila briefly wondered if he even noticed he was late this time. He was so wrapped up in himself that it was hard to believe he did it on purpose.

“Ah, James. You’ve joined us. Perfect!” Ms. Lewis smiled as he took a seat in the most secluded corner of the room, dropping his bag without a word. “You can be the first to get your partner.”

“For what?” His voice was monotonous, and it was obvious he didn’t care.

“Our trust walk. I’m choosing a partner for each of you, and you’ll take turns leading each other around the school. One partner has to keep their eyes shut while the other takes their arm or holds their hand or something,” She paused as a couple students giggled immaturely. “You know what I mean. Just lead them around somehow without talking or verbal instructions. This is to gain trust with each other, and we’ll be doing it a few times throughout the year. And if you’re being led you cannot, under any circumstances, open your eyes! That would defeat the whole purpose,” She looked at Amanda.

“Why are you looking at me? Everyone else cheated, too!” Amanda said indignantly. 

“No Mandy, that was all you,” Caleb grinned as Amanda pouted. As usual, she’d been way too hyper to follow set rules the year before.

“So James, I think I’ll pair you with...” Ms. Lewis trailed off thoughtfully as her light brown eyes scanned the room.

Don’t look at me, don’t look at me, please don’t look at me, Laila inwardly pleaded.

“Laila,” Ms. Lewis decided.

“Of course,” Laila muttered. She smacked Caleb’s arm as he started laughing. Bonnie caught Laila’s eye from across the room to smile sympathetically, then stifled a laugh at Laila’s depressed response.

“Caleb, you’ll be with Jesse,” Ms. Lewis continued around the room, pairing everyone up with someone they either didn’t know very well or didn’t seem to get along with, which fully explained why Laila was paired with Jace.

“He’s gonna try to kill me,” She predicted, “Watch, it’s gonna happen. And then I’m gonna come back as a ghost to haunt you for calling me overdramatic when he did that creepy monologue,” She was talking to Caleb, but as usual he was way too entertained to take her seriously.