Of Love And Hate, You Were My Greatest Mistake ~3~

“We’re home!” Alyson sang, tossing her keys on the table beside the door.

“Great,” Laila’s voice was thick with sarcasm. Footsteps came closer and then they were there, smiling at her. Two of them anyways. Jace was hovering in the background, looking angry about his own existence. “Just get whatever you want.” Laila waved a hand across the table and sat down. Her mom sat at the end of the table, Rose beside her. Before Jace could sit Amanda came fluttering into the room.

“Hi Miss Alyson, Aunt Rose.” She greeted them and slid into the seat beside Laila. “And who might you be?” She batted her eyelashes at Jace, who looked taken aback. Laila bit back a grin.

“Jace.” He said. He sat down across the table from Laila, who chanced a smile at him. He only looked at her.

“Ooh you have an accent!” Amanda exclaimed. “Where are you from?”

Laila gave her best friend an incredulous look, then quickly stuffed a bite of pancake into her mouth to keep from laughing.

“I’m from Italy originally, but I grew up mostly in England.” He began scooping pancakes and french toast onto his plate, then looked around in confusion. “Where’s the meat?” He asked.

“Laila doesn’t eat meat. She’s very...” Alyson glanced at her daughter for an appropriate phrase to use. Laila offered no help, too busy surveying Jace from behind her fork. “Radical. About her beliefs.”

“You make me sound crazy.” Laila rolled her eyes. “I just don’t agree with the meat industry or what it does.” She explained. She forked another chunk of organic pancakes into her mouth.

“Nothing with a face?” Jace suggested, referring to the go to phrase of many vegans. 

“More like nothing that’s been tortured for no apparent reason.”

“You ARE radical.” Jace observed, an amused smile playing across his lips. This was the first Laila had seen him smile.

“I can be radical about things too. Like--”

“Twilight and Britney Spears.” Laila cut Amanda off, grinning. Amanda scoffed.

“No! Well, yeah. But that’s not what I... oh shutup.” Amanda scowled into her plate as everyone laughed. Everyone but Jace, who only grinned. Maybe he does have more emotions than just angry and annoyed, Laila thought.

“So tell us about yourself, Jace.” Alyson said. She glanced at Laila with raised eyebrows. Laila gave her mom a stern look, wishing she would be a bit less obvious about her intentions.

Jace shrugged. “There’s nothing to tell.”

“Why’d you come to America?” Amanda piped up. Rose gave her a warning look but it was too late. Jace didn’t seem to notice, nor did he seem to mind giving the answer.

“My friends and I stole a car.” 

“So your parents just shipped you out here?” Amanda asked, horrified. Probably because that was something her strict parents would do if she missed church for one day.

He shook his head. “No. That was mostly because I got expelled and I couldn’t go to school in Britain anymore. Not that I wanted to, but every time I tried to drop out they dragged me back. And being suspended only lasts so long, I always had to go back. But your school in America accepted me. I don’t know why.” He shrugged, the corners of his mouth turning up in a smile that looked a little threatening. Maybe it was just Laila’s preconceived notions that he was a delinquent.