Of Love and Hate, You Were My Greatest Mistake ~55~

Laila stirred in bed, faintly aware of hushed voices. They were coming from the other room. Or maybe the room she was in? She cracked an eye open to see the current room empty.

She sat up and stifled a yawn, looking around. Her bikini from the night before was strewn across the floor. Panic set in as she looked down in horror; she was wearing a t-shirt she recognized as Jace's, along with a pair of his boxers. She leapt up to inspect the bed, and herself, before deciding everything seemed fine-her body felt the same as usual, and the sheets were neat and only rumpled on her own side of the large bed.

"How'd I get in here?" She thought aloud, ruffling a loose ponytail. She didn't remember putting her hair up, either.

A knock sounded at the door, followed by it swinging open.

"Sleeping beauty's finally up?" Jace stood in the doorway, his green eyes taking her in. He was clearly amused by her confusion. "Relax, I didn't see anything. You slept in here alone and changed yourself and all that shit. All I did was carry you from the pool to the room."

"Was I that drunk?"

"No. I'm pretty sure you weren't drunk at all," he said. "I've never met a heavier sleeper. You have a problem."

"If I wasn't drunk why'd you keep calling me drunk?" She demanded.

"Because annoying you is fun. You'd get all..." He imitated her pouty face before laughing. "Are you ready yet? You're late for school."

"Me? What about you? If I'm late, you're late! Shit. How late are we?" She looked at the nightstand clock and gasped. "I'm so late! Oh my god, we gotta go-"

"You," he corrected. "I'm not going today."

"What do you mean, you're not going today? You have to come. We're telling people we're dating. I wanna get it over with as soon as possible because I'm so fucking tired of all these rumors about me. I hate it."

"Oh," his voice was bland. "You remember that?"

"The callback list is up," she realized. "Jace, we gotta go. I need to see what part I have!"

"You honestly care that much?" He started laughing when she frantically nodded.

"Of course I care that much. Are you insane? You act like you don't know me at all." She kept grumbling while searching the room for clothes. Nothing was around. And of course, Jace wasn't helping. He was watching her like she was, in fact, insane for wanting to go to school. "Where are my clothes?" She asked in exasperation.

"You have some," Jace said casually. "Samantha and Caleb brought you an outfit and your bag this morning. Your friends are stalkers."

"They are not," she huffed. Although it may seem like stalking, they all had each other's phone locations. And of course, unlike Jace, they'd know she needs to go to school and would also need her things.

Thank god for Amanda's obsession with constantly knowing where everyone is.

"Here." Jace held up an outfit.

Laila grabbed it and rushed past him to the bathroom. She said a hurried good morning to everyone in the main area, which was literally everyone but herself and Jace, before closing herself in the bathroom.

It wasn't long before she was showered, changed, and ready to go. She dumped the toothbrush and everything else Jace had bought her into the schoolbag before emerging from the bathroom.

"I'm ready," she announced.

"For what?" Wes looked up from whatever they'd all been talking about.

"School."