Of Love And Hate, You Were My Greatest Mistake ~54~

"Why is everything moving?" Laila asked as she joined the others in the main room. "Am I imagining it?"

"No, love. That's the alcohol," Cam replied.

"I told you not to chug."

"For your information I didn't chug the second one," Laila said haughtily, shooting Jace a glare. It turned to a giggle instead when Anthony took her hand.

"Don't worry. We'll take care of you."

"Yeah," Jace agreed, though he was looking at his friend suspiciously. Or maybe Laila was imagining it? Her vision was a little odd at the moment. But her doubt faded when Jace smoothly came between her and Anthony, moving the latter aside and freeing her hand. "Are you good?" He asked her quietly.

"Stop babying me. I'm not drunk," she insisted. It didn't seem to make him feel better. He stared for a few seconds, his expression unreadable. "Yes, I'm good," she added. "Better?"

"Yeah." He seemed distracted. The others had already left the room. Their voices echoed down the hall, crude and boisterous as ever.

"You ready?" Wes asked. He was the only one who'd waited.

"Ready Freddy!" Laila giggled again as Jace sighed and took her arm, leading her from the room. "What time is it?"

"Midnight?" Wes guessed. "I dunno, I left my phone back there." He nodded toward their deserted hotel room.

They were already halfway to the elevator, where Jace's bandmates were waiting.

"Hurry up, mate," Skip complained. "I wanna get my dick wet." He laughed as Laila's eyes grew wide at the comment. Maybe coming here was a mistake. "I'm kidding. I meant in the pool," Skip assured her.

"Mmm," she grimaced. Hanging out with a group of guys was so new. She still wasn't used to their tactless humor or overall dynamic.

"Are you sure—"

"Jace, I'm fine," she interrupted him. "Why are you suddenly worried about me? You're supposed to hate me."

"I told you I don't. Is your memory really as fucked as the rest of you?"

"See!" She shoved a finger in his chest as he laughed. "You hate me."

He nudged her into the open elevator without a word. She frowned, wondering why he was still vacillating after all this time. Every time she thought they'd had some type of breakthrough into a friendship, or at least civility, he had to go and be an asshole all over again.

"I can't believe you're drinking," Wes mused. "Are you drunk?"

"I don't think so?" She looked up, then down, then did a quick pirouette as best she could in her current shoes and the nearly full elevator.

"What the fuck are you doing?"

"Seeing if I can still spot," she told Jace. "I can, so I think I'm good."

"Good thing I brought another." Skip pulled a third wine cooler from who knows where.

"For me?" Laila's hand went to her chest, matching the flattered surprise in her voice.

"I'm sure as hell not drinking it." He pushed it into her hand.

"Thank you. You guys are so sweet," she gushed. "You do make me nervous just 'cause there's so many of you and you're so..." She gestured around, not finding the words she'd planned to use. Everyone was watching in amusement while she struggled to finish. "Loud! Obnoxious? Aggressive? But just like... verbally. But not aggressive aggressive, just a lot. A whole lot. I guess typical guys? I'm not used to it. I only hang out with my cheer and dance friends who are nothing like you guys." She gestured again, waving the wine cooler. Cam laughed and swiped it from her hand, then handed it off to Jace.