Of Love And Hate, You Were My Greatest Mistake ~50~

************************

hi guys! two things: 1, if anyone would like to hear laila's song (later in the chapter) google "climbing uphill broadway" and listen to the BROADWAY version of the song starting from 2:45 to 3:24. (<---- that's the time of her part). 2, if anyone wants to see the type of choreography in the chapter feel free to google "cell block tango" and watch the movie version of that song! that's the type of dance it is. that is all, enjoy!    

************************

Laila strode past the entrance to the gym. It was the next morning and time for P.E., but she wasn't going. She'd made up her mind that morning on the ride to school while she was venting to Caleb and Amanda about the immaturity of the general.

"That's why I'm gonna sing instead," She hummed to herself. She reached the music practice rooms and peered into the small window of the first one. "Empty!" She sang. She pushed the door open and went inside.

The entire period passed quickly, with Laila singing her heart out. It was her audition song for later that day, and she needed it to be perfect. She'd been rehearsing it at home for at least an hour each day for the past week. She opened the practice room door as the bell rang for the end of the period and collided with a person's shoulder. She looked up to see it was Alex.

"Laila," His eyes lit up when he realized it was her. "That was you singing in there?"

"Oh, I thought those were soundproof," She had never realized people could hear from outside.

"Mostly. I could just hear a little, but what I heard was amazing."

"Aw, thanks! I'm practicing for the school musical. Callbacks are later today and I wanna play Roxie. She's one of my dream roles."

"What play is that?"

"Musical," She giggled at his choice of words. "Chicago."

"I've never seen it," He said thoughtfully.

"There's a movie of it, too." She told him. "It's one of my favorites."

"Oh, I'll have to watch that. I wanna see what role you'll get because I already know you're gonna get it."

"I know I am too," She agreed. "I was born for this role. And like a million others."

"I love your confidence," Alex nodded in approval. "I like confidence in a girl."

She laughed just as the late bell rang. "Crap, I gotta go. I have drama."

"Alright, that's cool." He reached out for a hug and Laila obliged, slightly surprised by how friendly he was being.

"See you later," She smiled as he walked away, then made her way to drama class. Oddly enough, she was a couple minutes late.

"Where were you?" Amanda questioned.

"When?"

"During P.E.! You skipped?"

"Wait, you ditched again?" Caleb asked in surprise. "What is happening to you?"

"I'm done with that class," Laila sat down beside her best friends.

"You're turning into quite the rebel." Jace said as he passed. He sat in his usual spot in the corner, keeping his eyes on Laila. She wasn't sure if he was teasing, or being serious.

"Okay my little drama geeks," Ms. Lewis took her place at the front of the class. "Today we're running through songs for anyone who's attending callbacks later today. How many of you made it through?" She did a headcount as the majority of the class raised their hands. "Good! That's almost all of you. That means we'll be hearing plenty of songs today. We might not have time for all of you, so I'll let you go by volunteer. Who would like to go first?"