Of Love And Hate, You Were My Greatest Mistake ~37~

“Did you guys hear about Distression’s new album coming out? I think it’s being released in three weeks.”

“I heard it’s coming out in two.”

“Someone else told me three. I hope it’s two, though. The sooner it’s out the better.”

Laila’s ears immediately perked up at the new conversation, and she did her best to look nonchalant while she eavesdropped. She casually turned to the two girls from her ballet class as she peeled her pink tights off. “What’re you guys talking about?” She asked curiously. Both girls were juniors Laila rarely spoke to, but this information was way too interesting to pass up.

“This new band from the UK,” The first girl answered. “They mostly do underground shows and the only recordings are on youtube. I’m so excited that they finally decided to do an actual CD!”

“Do you know which singles they’re doing first?” The second asked eagerly. 

“I heard they’re recording all of them, plus some new ones,” Another girl said from across the locker room. She pulled her leotard off before adding, “I don’t know which ones they’re releasing as singles, though.”

“Did they get a record deal or something?” Laila asked. All three girls turned to look at her. They were the only four left in the entire locker room. Most of the others had already finished changing and gone off to their fourth period classes, but Laila wasn’t in much of a hurry. The late bell wouldn’t be ringing for about three or four more minutes. “What?” She adjusted her short, white cotton dress while the others continued to stare.

“Since when are you into their kinda music?” One of them finally asked. “I thought you were all obsessed with Broadway stuff, not rock and screamo.”

“My boyfriend got me into them,” She replied seamlessly. It was strange they even knew that with how rarely she spoke to any of them, but she was starting to get used to everyone knowing her information. She was beginning to realize Bonnie may have been right about her being one of the most popular cheerleaders.

“I didn’t know you had a boyfriend,” One of the juniors said. 

“Yeah, we’ve been together for a while,” Laila straightened her dress out before sitting down to lace up her matching converse.

“Huh. No one’s mentioned him before,” The girl said thoughtfully, as if the entire school should’ve known. “Well anyways they still don’t have a record deal. I think they’re gonna release it independently.”

“I can’t wait for it to come out.”

“Me neither! I wish they’d take those masks off so I could know what they look like.”

“I bet they’re all super hot.”

Laila smiled to herself as the other girls continued to gossip and giggle about how hot all five of the band members must be. If only they knew the lead guitarist was only a few rooms over. She finished changing and stood up, shoving her dance clothes in her locker before slamming it shut and closing the lock.

“I’ll see you guys tomorrow,” She waved over her shoulder at the chorus of goodbyes and left the locker room. She freed her hair from its neat bun and rearranged it to a high ponytail as she walked. There were definitely some questions Jace would be answering once they both got home later that day. She made a quick stop at her locker for her monologue book, once again opting to leave the english binder despite her better judgement. The halls were empty as she strolled down them, and she already knew she’d be late to English. Just as she’d expected, the late bell rang seconds before she pulled the door open and walked inside.