Of Love And Hate, You Were My Greatest Mistake ~21~

sorry for the wait again! i made this chapter longer to make up for it. vote and comment? :D

“This is a seven-man game. One, two, three,” The general continued to count out loud as he chose seven players from each team to start and motioned them forward. Amanda was the last to be selected for the red team, and she groaned loudly as she walked to the middle of the field. “Choose positions for each person and get in place. Red is offense, blue starts defense!” He blew his whistle and both teams immediately huddled to do what they were told. 

Laila walked to the bleachers and joined the rest of her teammates who hadn’t been chosen for the first round. She watched as the red team selected a quarterback, two running backs, two wide receivers, and a tight end. Amanda was a wide receiver, which was probably about the worst thing her team could’ve possibly chosen for her. 

“Good luck Mandy!” Laila called out, laughing as Amanda turned and made a face at her.

“I’m gonna die!” She called back. “I don’t even know what a wide receiver does, and I--” She was cut off by the general’s whistle, and she blinked in confusion as everyone around her sprang into action.

“Go run down the field and catch the ball if the quarterback throws it to you!” Laila directed, shouting over the loud commotion.

“What?” Amanda stared at her, completely confused.

“Just run and catch the ball!” Laila pointed at all the other players who knew what they were doing and were already halfway down the field. Amanda nodded and took off running after her team. She got about a fourth of the way to them before she slowed down and stopped completely. The general’s whistle blew and Laila turned her attention to see the girl with the ball’s flag had been torn off.

“First down!” He waved his hand for the teams to regather at the new starting point.

Laila’s eyes scanned the players in search for Jace. She didn’t see him, and when she looked at the opposite bleachers he was staring at her. His lips turned up in the trace of a smirk as their eyes met. Great. They would be playing each other. Her attention was pulled from him as she heard a loud yelp that she recognized all too well. She spotted Amanda with the ball in her hands and a look of panic on her face. A guy from their team grabbed the ball from her as he ran past, continuing until he passed the bleachers. The red team shouted in triumph as the general’s shrill whistle sounded, confirming the first touchdown of the game.

“Zero to six, red team!” He announced.

Laila watched halfheartedly as the game commenced, only partially interested. She really did love football, but it was a bit boring when tackling wasn’t allowed. So far her team was in the lead, having scored two touch downs while the blue had one. She snapped back to attention when the general finally called for the teams to switch. She quickly hopped up and jogged to the field.

“That was horrible.” Amanda looked like she was about to cry when Laila came to a stop beside her. “Did you see when they threw the ball at me? I thought I was just supposed to run! They didn’t say anything about the taking the ball with me!”

“Just go sit down.” Laila couldn’t hold back her amused laughter as Amanda pouted.

“Hey wait,” Amanda spoke slowly as a small smile lit up her face, “You’re right! I can sit down now. Thank god because my legs are falling off.” She grinned happily at her suddenly uplifted mood. “And don’t get so competitive this time!” She added, scolding Laila before it was even needed.

“How am I supposed to make it on Broadway if I’m not competitive? This is good practice for when I’m competing for roles.” Laila justified. She smiled as Amanda shook her head and quickly walked off the field.