Of Love And Hate, You Were My Greatest Mistake ~32~

sorry its so short! i'll make up for it with the next one :)

***************************

Laila smoothed her skirt down as she made her way to the field. Musical theatre had been fun, as had helping Bonnie at lunch. The girl was a lot sweeter than she had initially expected, and they’d actually gotten along extremely well. 

“Lalaaa!”

She turned and smiled as Caleb caught up to her. “Hiya sunshine!”

“So did you guys find a monologue?”

“Yeah, we got one from my book and she wrote it down so she has a copy. I really like her,” Laila gushed, “I think she’s gonna be my new friend. You should try talking to her in class tomorrow.”

“Are you replacing me?” He joked. She laughed and shook her head.

“Of course not, you’ll always be my mostly gay best friend.”

“I better be!” He dumped his bag on the bleachers as they reached the rest of their squad, and Laila followed suit. 

“Okay girls,” Katie waved her hands for everyone to come forward, “Today’s gonna be a little different. No laps today, we’re just going right into it and we’re splitting into groups. Ramani and Laila, you guys start choreographing your tumbling routine for the game. Caleb, you can work with the other fliers and bases. And I’ll be teaching the rest of you guys two new cheers for the game this friday. Got it?”

“So we’re the only ones tumbling this game?” Laila asked, gesturing to herself and Ramani. 

“Yeah,” Katie replied offhandedly. “And one other thing.. We got our pom poms today!” She picked up one of the three large boxes at her feet as the other girls cheered.

“Do I get pom poms too?” Caleb asked hopefully.

“Duh,” Ramani opened the second box and retrieved the first two, “Just because you’re a boy doesn’t mean you can’t wave pom poms with the rest of us.” She shook them enthusiastically before tossing the fluffy things his direction.

“Thank you!” He happily caught them and waved them around, grinning like mad.

Laila was the second to get hers, and from there everybody else came forward to grab their own. She easily liked these better than the ones they’d gotten the year before. Those had been a bland white mixed with dull purple, while these were a rich black combined with a vibrant shade of lavender. They matched the uniforms perfectly.

“Hi guys!”

She looked up to see Wes passing on his way to soccer practice. “Hi Wes!”

He stopped when he reached her and ruffled one of her pom poms. “Nice frilly things. These look fun,” He ruffled it again and she laughed, holding it out to him.

“It’s called a pom pom, we use them for cheers.”

“Oh, right! Those things. You used them at the games last year,” He remembered.

“They look more like mops to me,” Jace came to a stop beside Wes, “Have they finally demoted you to team janitor?”

“You’re just jealous that you didn’t get any,” She waved one at him and he pushed it away, “We all know you wanted to make the squad. You don’t have to lie anymore, it’s okay.” She laughed at held them against her sides.

“You’re acting different today,” He speculated, “It’s making me like you even less than usual.” He walked away without another word. She called out his name, and he reluctantly looked back. “What?”