Of Love And Hate, You Were My Greatest Mistake ~41~

“Hey, Laila?”

“Yeah?” She turned at the unexpected mention of her name, curious to see who was calling her this time. Her ballet class had just ended, and she was currently on her way to drama class, once again clad in her cheer uniform with the high ponytail and ‘hideous bows’ back in place. She resisted the urge to roll her eyes at Jace’s earlier insult, and instead smiled at the girl from her squad. It was one of the fliers she’d been helping out most of the week. From what she’d seen so far the girl seemed suspiciously sweet. Almost to the point of fakeness.

“I have a question for you,” The blonde started. “Can I use Caleb as my base for the game?”

“Can you what?” Laila gave her a funny look for even asking. No one had ever asked to partner with Caleb. Not once since she’d started the squad freshman year, and especially not since she’d become third in command the year before. It was common knowledge that Caleb was hers.

“Yeah, I want Caleb. I always had a male base at my other schools and I’m not used to this whole working with other girls thing. I wanna use him.”

“You can’t have him,” Laila said slowly, still confused on why the girl would even ask. “He’s always my partner and I don’t share.”

“Not even once? That seems a little selfish.”

“I’m sorry,” Laila said, genuinely feeling bad. “You should’ve asked me earlier. The game is tonight, so even I did share we wouldn’t have enough time to rearrange everything on such short notice.”

“But you still would’ve said no,” The girl presumed. Laila nodded. She wouldn’t agree that it was selfish, but at the same time she really was sincere in her apology.

“I know it’s kinda unfair, but-”

“Forget it,” The girl snapped, cutting her off completely. “Forget I even asked, you obviously don’t care.”

Laila stared at the girl in disbelief. She’d never been spoken to like that minus Jace, and she had no idea how to respond. She didn’t even know how to feel about the girl’s scathing glare.

“I will, then.” Laila finally snapped back. “And I take it back, I’m not sorry at all. I’m late for drama so I’ll see you sixth period.” She started to walk away, but then she thought twice about it and glared back at the girl. “By the way, if you’re gonna act like such a bitch don’t even bother asking next time. I might’ve considered it, but now it’s a definite no.” She spun on her heel and stalked off. She didn’t know what the girl’s problem was and she didn’t even know her name, meaning it must not be very relevant to the squad. She generally paid attention to the more valuable girls.

The late bell rang a few seconds later, and she swore under her breath before she took off running. Drama class was one of the few she wasn’t willing to be late to. That and Musical Theatre, along with her two dances classes. The only ones that mattered, as far as she was concerned. She reached the classroom and quietly pulled the door open, hoping to blend in before Ms. Lewis could notice. But much to her dismay Ms. Lewis was already in front of the class, giving instructions like every other day.

“Sorry I’m late,” Laila smiled sheepishly as all eyes fell on her. The students were all seated along the far wall, already prepared to run through monologues in turn.

“It’s not okay. You’re disrupting my learning.” Jace said seriously. Everyone else looked at him in surprise, but Caleb was the only one brave enough to laugh at the joke.

“But you don’t learn,” Laila said slowly. The statement caused a few students to stifle laughs. She wasn’t trying to insult him, but who in the world was he trying to fool?