Of Love and Hate, You Were My Greatest Mistake ~48~

so sorry about the wait! as usual, please vote and comment <3 i'll try to get the next part out more quickly than this one. enjoy!

************************

"This is such a mess," Laila leaned against her dance locker and sank down to the floor, careful not to wrinkle her P.E. shorts along the way. All morning people had been asking about her boyfriend and if she had cheated on him with Jace. The students' extra time to gossip over the weekend had only made things worse.

"Stop telling people you cheated?" Amanda suggested.

"I can't! What else am I supposed to say? That I don't really have a boyfriend and I'm pretending so that Jace, the guy who hates me, won't get deported? What kind of sense does that make?"

"I don't know," Amanda sat on the bench beside her best friend. They were both late to P.E. and no one else was in the changing room. "It has to make a little sense because it's true."

"That's the thing, Mandy. It makes no sense at all," Laila sighed and stood up. "Are you ready for class? We better go before John gets even more pissed at me."

"He's gonna be even more pissed if you keep calling him John instead of the general," Amanda followed Laila from the changing rooms and out into the gym. It seemed class hadn't officially started yet.

"Hey Laila," A familiar girl immediately walked up to the two of them. "I heard you cheated on your boyfriend with Jace. Is it true? I don't like rumors. I'd rather ask you myself."

"Yeah," Laila said glumly, figuring she may as well own the rumor and get it over with. "I cheated and we broke up, I guess."

"So why're you still wearing the promise ring?"

"I'm not over him?" She half asked. "Yeah, I'm not over him." The second time it was more convincing.

You're an actress, Laila. Get your shit together and act.

"But isn't it your fault because you cheated?"

"And isn't it not any of your business?" She shot back, tired of all the accusations. It was only Monday morning, and already she'd been confronted by a good five or six people. To make matters worse, none of them were even her friends. It was just nosy people wanting to hear more gossip from the source.

"Whatever," The girl wandered back to her group of friends.

"I wish Jace was getting as much shit for this as I am," Laila grumbled. "I need to have a talk with him about this. This isn't fair."

"Not at all," Amanda agreed.

"STUDENTS! Sit down!" The general blew his whistle, and every student dropped to the ground. "Good. Today we'll be running laps and doing an obstacle course. Where is the obstacle course you ask?"

Laila stopped listening at that. He already wasn't making much sense.

"This is gonna suck," She whispered to Amanda.

"Amanda!" The general blew his whistle in their direction, "Stop talking while I'm talking!"

"But that wasn't--"

"That was me," Laila cut her best friend off. "I was the one talking."

"Who? I don't see anyone else," The general turned his back on them and continued talking, but Laila wasn't having it.

"Are you really gonna ignore me?" She asked loudly. The general did just that. "Seriously?"

"Teams of five. Go!" He blew his whistle and started counting out teams of five. He skipped Laila and Jace altogether.