Of Love And Hate, You Were My Greatest Mistake ~28~

“Laila are you even paying attention?”

“Yeah,” She lied, turned her attention back to Katie. Cheer practice was nearly halfway over and Jace hadn’t spared her so much as a glance the entire time, not even when his team ran past on their daily laps. Wes had smiled and waved like always, but nothing from Jace even though they were directly side by side. “We’re working on the new cheer, right?”

“Right!” Ramani chirped. “I love this one. I feel so seductive,” She giggled and flipped her long curls over her shoulder.

“I think I know why you’re distracted,” Katie started. The three of them were standing at the front of the girls, watching and critiquing as they ran the cheer over and over. “It’s cause Jace hasn’t teased you at all. You miss him.”

“Ohh is that why?” Ramani smiled mischievously and glanced over her shoulder. “I could always call him over here so you can tell him how much you wanna have sex with him.”

Katie burst out laughing as Laila shook her head in horror. “I think you should.” Katie encouraged.

“No! If you do I’m never talking to either of you guys again,” Laila shot them both menacing glares, though Katie only smiled while Ramani continued to giggle.

“Go practice with them. You guys aren’t head cheerleader, you don’t get to stand up here with me the whole time.” Katie gave them each a firm push.

“I’m co-head! I can stand wherever I want.” Ramani kicked a foot backwards and caught Katie in the leg, then laughed and skipped away to take her place amongst the other girls.

“I love this cheer.” Caleb said happily. He moved over to make room for Laila to join beside him.

She easily fell into step with the rest of her squad, keeping up flawlessly as if she’d been with them the entire time. The fact that she’d helped choreograph it only made things easier. She tried to keep her focus on herself and helping the other girls, but it seemed like practice was going by ten times slower than usual. Every minute that passed was another minute Jace ignored her, and it was driving her insane.

“Are you still obsessing over him?”

Laila started and nearly dropped her bag. Practice had just ended and she and Caleb were collecting their belongings to go home. “What’re you talking about?”

“Jace. You keep staring at him.” Caleb clarified. She followed his gaze to Jace, though it didn’t have to go far to reach him. She hadn’t even realized how much she’d been staring.

“I’m just... I don’t know. Confused?” She hiked her bag over her shoulder and leaned against the bleachers as she watched the other girls disperse. “I don’t know what’s happening. I don’t like him though, so don’t even go there.”

“I wasn’t going to,” Caleb lied. His grin gave it all away. “I mean it’s not like you guys are engaged or anything, or like you guys made out the other day, or--”

“Kissed. We kissed, we did not make out and we never will.” She shifted uncomfortably as she realized her eyes were once again veering toward Jace. I refuse to stare at him anymore, he’s not even cute, she told herself. It was pointless, she knew at least the second half was a lie.

“Well he’s coming over here.” Caleb announced. Laila’s heart skipped a beat in panic as she realized he was right. Jace was headed right toward them.

“Shit! Ah leave, go away, we have to leave, I didn’t even notice their practice was over yet,” She was muttering to herself and walking back and forth like it would really help anything.