Of Love And Hate, You Were My Greatest Mistake ~27~

“So I heard you skipped class this morning.”

Laila looked up from her perch on the floor as Caleb walked through the doors of the Drama classroom. Class didn’t start for another five minutes, and she had already been there for ten.

“Mayybe,” She smiled innocently and leaned back on her elbows, “Blame Jace. He’s a bad influence.”

“Did he convince you to skip?” Caleb inquired. He took a seat on the floor beside her.

“No, but he annoyed me out of the classroom.” She grinned as Caleb started to laugh. “I can’t believe you guys are friends.”

“I can’t believe you’re not! He’s awesome.”

“When he likes you.” Laila finished.

“True.” Caleb agreed shamelessly. 

“LALA!” Amanda came sprinting into the room and dove atop her two best friends. They didn’t even have a chance to fall over before Amanda was talking a mile per minute. “I can’t believe you left me this morning, you suck so much! And then I didn’t have anyone to look at sexy Jace with, not that you ever want to anyways because you hate him, which I still don’t understand. He’s so sexy! How can you hate a sexy person?” She paused to suck in a deep breath. “I can’t believe you left me!” She concluded loudly.

“You’re obnoxious.” Caleb told her. Laila reached out to smack him but her hand was intercepted by Amanda, who grabbed her around the wrist and yanked her up.

“We’re sitting over here today!” Amanda announced. 

“Why?” Caleb got up to follow Laila, who was currently being dragged across the room.

“Because,” Amanda dropped her voice to a whisper and looked around, “This is where Jace sits.”

“Oh my god.” 

“Are you serious?”

“Yes!” Amanda whisper-hissed. “Now sit down.” She went up on her tiptoes to push the other two down by their shoulders. They all landed on the floor a bit rougher than usual.

“Gather round my little drama geeks,” Ms. Lewis clapped her hands twice once she had taken her usual position at the front of the classroom. “I have a very important announcement today.”

“Ooh what is it? Did they announce which musical we’re doing yet?” A dark haired girl asked hopefully.

“They did,” Ms. Lewis began. She stopped when the classroom door opened and Jace walked in. “You’re late, James.”

“Really?” He paused to look at her in complete shock, “I didn’t notice.” He was halfway to his usual place when his eyes locked on Laila. He stopped just short of her before turning a complete one-eighty and crossing to the other side of the room. He dropped his bag and sat.

“Is everyone ready to continue?” Ms. Lewis asked. Her voice was playfully sarcastic as she smiled at Jace.

“Yes!” The same girl from before exclaimed. 

“Auditions for the musical start next Monday, exactly one week from today. I expect all of you to try your best for a role. It won’t affect your grade if you don’t get anything, but you’re all advanced. I expect you to at least make callbacks.”

“What show is it?” Some guy from the other side of the circle asked.

“A very well known one. You might know it.” Ms. Lewis smiled coyly as a few of her students groaned. She had a habit of toying with them before giving real answers.