Of Love And Hate, You Were My Greatest Mistake ~56~

Laila purposefully strode down the walkway. Caleb should be arriving any minute for their shopping adventure. It was Saturday morning, meaning their first rehearsal started in only a few hours. It was crucial to get everything done before it was time to go.

"Where are you going?" Jace's voice cut into her thoughts.

She turned to see his entire band outside. She hadn't even noticed them in her excitement. "Waiting for Caleb and Mandy," she said brightly.

"Not what're you doing. I said where are you going."

"You're so rude." Laila frowned. "We're running errands before rehearsal."

"Ugh. Right." Jace grimaced as Skip grinned.

"Your first day of being in a musical." Cam clapped Jace on the back, damn near cackling. "Are you excited?"

"Ready to dance?" Dominic chimed in.

"You think they'll put him in a leotard?" Anthony asked.

"If they do send pics!"

"I'd pay to see that shit-"

"I'm not wearing a bloody leotard," Jace interrupted his friends, who were chortling and pantomiming dance moves. "Do you wanna ride with me?"

Laila gazed around. Until she realized the last question was for her. "Oh! Me?"

"Yes, Rabbit. Who else is going to the stupid thing?"

"Oh," Laila paused before saying, "sure."

He seemed hesitant. She was, too. Their entire dynamic felt awkward and off this morning. But then a happiness set in, and she decided this was a good thing.

"Get in loser! We're going shopping." Caleb's shouting caught her attention. He'd pulled up to the curb only a moment before.

Laila waved at Jace and his friends before getting into the backseat. She rolled down the window before peeking her head out and saying, "I'll be back like half an hour before rehearsal and then we can go straight there. Is that okay?"

"Yeah. See you later." Jace went back to his bandmates.

Laila had forgotten to ask what they were doing outside. But before she could, Caleb was carting her away while Amanda talked a mile a minute from up front. Asking about her morning, about her night, about any new developments with Jace.

Laila answered where she could, detailing her afterschool interaction with Jace. Amanda nearly choked on a dramatic gasp when she reached the part of Jace having feelings-or at least not denying that he meant 'like' in a romantic way-and admitting she's grown on him.

"Don't die." Laila laughed as Amanda fell into a coughing fit. "And watch the road!" She added for Caleb, who was gaping at her in the rearview mirror. "Do we need to pull over?"

"No," he said quickly, "no! Keep going. You can't stop here. Give us all the details."

"Well I'm trying but Amanda decided to suffocate herself." Laila smiled when Amanda choked out an apology and finally stopped coughing. "Can I finish now?"

"Duh."

"Yes!"

She continued the story, this time only raising her voice over Amanda's absurd reaction at the making out part. She'd barely managed to answer their avalanche of questions by the time they reached the mall.

"Are you guys done now?" She asked tiredly. "Telling you stories is so much work. I'm exhausted."

"What're we supposed to do, listen quietly?" Caleb laughed as they strolled past an array of stores. "That's impossible. You know that."