Of Love And Hate, You Were My Greatest Mistake ~49~

"Sorry!" Laila apologized as she bumped into a stranger. She had left Amanda and Caleb behind in her hurry to see the callback list. She hadn't even stopped at her locker first. "It's here, it's here, it's here," She kept chanting as she waited for a turn in front of the list. Finally, a space cleared up and she stepped forward. Her finger ran down the list as she scanned the page for familiar names. "YES!" She spun and did a quick cheer move in pure joy. She had made the callback list, along with Amanda, Caleb, Ramani, Bonnie, and Jace. Plus many other students, but none of the others were important.

"Are you really cheering right now?" Caleb raised his eyebrows as Laila did a high kick.

"Yes!" She repeated gleefully. "It says anyone who's interested in a lead role or cell block tango role has to be prepared to dance and learn choreography if they pass the singing tomorrow. I guess we're doing singing and dancing in one audition. You know what that means?"

"What does it mean?" Amanda asked eagerly.

"That the list will be up by the end of this week!" Laila squealed. "Yes! Yes yes YES! Roxie Hart, here I come!"

"'Scuse me, Rabbit," Jace pushed her aside and stood at the list. "Huh. I made it," He didn't seem surprised or happy. He was completely indifferent. "You made it too..." He said slowly, looking at Laila. She nodded. "I'm surprised. You did awful."

Her mouth dropped as Caleb laughed and Jace wordlessly walked away.

"He's so cute when he does that," Amanda sighed dreamily.

"No, he's an asshole when he does that. I'm going to my locker," Laila walked away in slight anger. Jace really had a way of getting under her skin. She had done amazing at her audition, and everyone with eyes and ears knew it.

"Why do you look so mad?" Jace was leaning against her locker when she arrived, smirking.

"Why do you think? Ass." She nudged him aside and opened the locker. "My audition was wonderful."

"Do you ever get tired of being so conceited?"

"Of what?" She looked at him, confused. No one had ever called her conceited before.

"Conceited," He repeated loudly, "It means you're cocky."

"I know what it means," She snapped. "No, no one's ever told me that before because I'm not."

"You are."

"No, I'm not."

"You definitely are."

"No I'm not!"

He started laughing at her growing frustration. "Whatever makes you sleep at night, Fairy."

"Stop calling me those names," She huffed. She got distracted as a couple girls from their English class walked past, giggling when they saw Laila and Jace together. "What's their problem?" She wondered aloud.

"Who cares. You're boring me."

Her mouth dropped again as Jace left, walking in the exact opposite direction of his class.

"Such an asshole," She slammed her locker shut and went to her Ballet class, which went by much the same as usual. By the end she was exhilarated, both from dancing and from the fact that everyone she cared about had gotten callbacks. "See you in a few minutes," She waved to Caleb as they parted ways to go to the girls' and boys' locker rooms, respectively. She hummed happily as she changed back to her powder pink sundress. She pulled on her bright red converse and straightened up to fix her hair, taking it down from the bun and putting it back to its usual cheer ponytail.