Of Love And Hate, You Were My Greatest Mistake ~31~

Laila seated herself on her bed and placed a book of female monologues in her lap. She was currently in a black bra and dance shorts with her outfit for the day laid out behind her, having already showered, done her makeup, and fixed her hair in it’s usual ponytail. She thought back to the evening before, when her mom and Rose had decided the incident with Dario was adorable. They had giggled like school girls and gone on about how cute she and Jace would be once they finally got together. She rolled her eyes at the memory and glanced out her window to see if he was even up yet. Waking up an hour early to choose a monologue had definitely paid off; there was so sign of him. She refocused on her book and flipped to the table of contents.

“I need something cute but dramatic,” She ran a finger down the page until she spotted the dramatic section. “Something Roxie,” She flipped to the listed page and began to read her choices.

It wasn’t long before she found something perfect. It wasn’t exactly cute, per say, but it would definitely show her ability to portray the depth of Roxie’s character. She marked the page in her book and stood, eager to get dressed and start her day. As if on cue, a steady beat of drumming picked up outside her window. She groaned and quickly snatched up her dress. The sooner she could get away from Jace the better.

“Goodmorning, Laily!” Alyson stood in the doorway, coffee in hand and a huge smile on her face. “Is that James playing drums? I didn’t know he’s a drummer,” She crossed Laila’s room and peered out the window, and Laila reluctantly came to join.

“Are you gonna complain and say I need to put on more clothes?” Laila reluctantly got up to join her mom at the window, “He could look up any second.” She added.

“Oh it’s okay, he’ll see you naked eventually.” 

“Mom!”

Alyson ignored Laila’s incredulous look and tightened her robe before opening the window. She stuck her head out and shouted, “Hey James!”

Jace slowly stopped drumming and looked up. He seemed annoyed, but the second he spotted what Laila was wearing he smiled. He got up and crossed the room to his window, then opened it and leaned out.

“Hi,” Laila greeted dully.

“You finally learned how to take directions,” He said in approval. His smile turned to a bland stare as he turned to her mom. It was safe to say he enjoyed her giddiness just as much as he enjoyed Amanda’s. “‘Morning.” He finally replied.

“I’ll just leave you two to talk,” Alyson retreated from the window and quickly left the room. Laila could hear her scheming giggles even as she walked away and down the hall.

Jace’s green eyes fell on Laila as he leaned against the window sill, and she shifted uncomfortably under his indifferent gaze. “How long do you think it’ll take your mom to finally grow up?”

“Don’t insult her,” Laila said coldly, “And what directions are you talking about?”

“The black,” His hand drifted up and down as he indicated her clothing, “It’s better than the rainbow clown suits you normally wear.”

She slammed her window shut and closed the blinds against his laughter. She hadn’t worn the black bra for his viewing pleasure. She took her time changing into a lavender leotard and light pink tights, then covered up with a white babydoll dress and lavender thigh high leg warmers. The dress didn’t cover much, not that it mattered since her only non-dance class of the day was English. She slipped her feet into a pair of white converse and laced them up before picking up her school bag. She stuffed her monologue book and cheer uniform inside before making her way downstairs.