Of Love And Hate, You Were My Greatest Mistake ~8~

The first thing Laila was aware of the next morning was a dull pounding. A loud pounding, actually, that was perfectly in tune with obnoxious screaming and equally obnoxious guitar. She glanced at her phone to see it was a good twenty minutes before she even needed to wake up for school.

“Are you fucking kidding me?” She ripped the covers back and stalked over to her bedroom window, glaring across the way. Jace was nowhere to be seen, but a steady stream of t shirts was flying across the room and landing in a messy pile on the floor. He finally came into sight in a pair of black jeans and pulling a black shirt over his head. And just as Laila had though, his body was absolutely perfect.

Focus, Laila, she scolded herself. By the time she snapped out of it Jace was staring at her, his t shirt properly on his body and his black hair disheveled. She yanked her window open so she could be properly heard as she yelled at him.

“What happened to not playing it so loud so early?” She demanded.

“What? I can’t hear you,” Jace called back. He ruffled his messy hair, temporarily stepping out of sight before coming back holding a magazine. 

“You know damn well you can hear me!” Laila shouted. His window was open and she had heard him just fine.

“No, I really can’t.” He leaned against the side of the window frame and flipped to the next page of his playboy.

“Turn your fucking shit down!” 

“What?” He raised his eyebrows at her. “Hold on,” He tossed the magazine to the side and turned his music down to a decent level before coming back to the window. “What were you saying?” 

“You are so fucking obnoxious,” Laila groaned, running a hand through her hair. Jace didn’t seem to hear her, however, as his eyes roamed over her body.

“Nice pajamas.”

She looked down to see he was referring to her black tank top with a built in bra and hot pink underwear. Maybe she should’ve put on the some shorts before going to the window. “You know what,” She paused as she spotted a pair of pajama shorts strewn across a bean bag chair at her feet, and she quickly snatched them up. “We don’t all like wearing clothes,” She wiggled as she pulled the shorts up, ignoring Jace’s unnerving smile, “And most of us don’t like waking up at the ass crack of dawn to the sounds of people killing each other with instruments and growling like they’ve turned into werewolves.” She finally got the shorts on and leaned against the window frame, only getting more frustrated as Jace progressively got more bored.

“Are you done?” He finally asked, reaching toward his out of sight bed and coming back with his magazine again. He flipped back to the last page he had been reading.

“I hope you don’t make the soccer team, I hope they kick you out of our whole school for being such an annoying.. annoying.. thing! And send you back to England,” Laila was so frustrated she couldn’t even come up with a proper insult.

“That’s not gonna happen. Have you seen me play? They may as well kick everyone else off the team and just make a team of me,” He crossed his arms over his shirt, which read ‘Why So Serious?’ in dripping red letters with a bloody dagger beneath the words. “Your cheering, however,” He continued, dead serious, “Could use a bit of work. I wouldn’t be surprised if they kicked you off your team.”

Laila opened her mouth to let out a long string of profanity just as Jace cranked his music back up even louder than before. Her words turned to a frustrated shriek as she searched for the nearest object, which happened to be a bottle of nail polish remover. She picked it up and chucked it as hard as she could across the short space between them. Jace came back into view as it crashed against his wall. He nonchalantly picked it up and walked back to his window, gently tossing it back through hers.