Of Love And Hate, You Were My Greatest Mistake ~29~

i have soo many plans for this story! its very exciting :)

*****

Laila leaned against the counter beside Jace while they waited for the sales woman to come back. She set her helmet down beside his before quietly drumming her nails against the glass.

“So how come Rose randomly decided to make you get me a ring?” She asked, mostly to break the silence.

“The guy with the glasses is getting suspicious.”

“Dario?” Laila waited in vain for a response, “That’s not good. Do you know if he said anything about it, or is she just guessing?”

Jace shrugged. “How the hell would I know?”

“I figured you would, seeing as we’re going through all this just to keep you here.” She said haughtily. “You never said thank you, by the way.”

He gave her a bland look that slowly turned to a mocking smile. She shifted uncomfortably when he continued to smile without a word.

“Here you are,” The lady came around a corner and gently placed two large cases of rings before them. “We have gold over here, and white gold over there. I wasn’t sure what type of stone you wanted, so I brought a few choices for each.” She explained.

Laila glanced at Jace before switching her focus to the rings. “These are all so pretty,” She murmured. Every single one looked incredibly expensive. “Do you have any with hearts or pink stones?”

Jace let out a blatant laugh, not bothering to hide his contempt when both girls turned to him.

“Umm,” The woman was trying hard not to show her confusion, “We have a couple special ones in the back. Would you like me to bring them out?”

“Yes, please,” Laila requested. “And only white gold. Please.” She was relieved when the lady returned her smile. She didn’t want to come across as too picky or demanding.

“Stay right here, let me see what I can find.” The lady picked up the collection of yellow gold and briskly walked away.

“Pink? Really?” Jace carelessly placed his helmet beside Laila’s, nearly knocking the other set of rings over. It didn’t seem to bother him. “Why don’t you just ask for one that comes with glitter and a matching tiara?”

“Do you think they make those?” She asked excitedly. His look of disgust was so immense it even seemed to surprise himself. “I’m not that ridiculous. Maybe if you ever got to know me, instead of just making fun of me, you’d know. Even though something that sparkles might be kinda nice..” She trailed off thoughtfully as Jace watched in fascination.

“You have a bit of an attitude problem.” He said this after much contemplation, and she looked at him in disbelief.

Me? I have an attitude problem? Do you hear yourself when you speak?” 

“Ahem,” The woman gently squeezed past Laila to place the new rings on the remaining counter space. “Sorry if I’m interrupting. I found a few that might interest you.”

“That’s adorable,” Laila’s hand immediately shot out to one that was positively screaming for her to take it. “It’s my favorite shade of pink, and I love the shape! This is so perfect. I wonder what size it is,” She slipped the ring onto her left ring finger before smiling triumphantly. “It fits!”

“Let me see,” Jace reached out and Laila placed her hand in his.

“Do you like it?” She asked eagerly.