Of Love And Hate, You Were My Greatest Mistake ~52~

"This line is super long," Laila gawked at the line trailing past Wes and herself. "I think it's wrapping around the corner!"

She was correct; the line wrapped around the entire block and halfway down the street. They had somehow gotten there amongst the first wave of people.

"Lucky for us, we got here nice and early," Wes grinned at her. "Are you excited?"

"Not really."

"Wrong answer. Yes. Yes is the word I'm looking for."

"Sorry," She giggled at Wes' silliness. "I guess I'm just not as into them as you are. And I'm still scared of the moshpit."

"I'll protect you from the moshpits," Wes wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "Trust me. No one will get anywhere near moshing with you."

"Are the doors opening?" Laila peered around Wes to see a minor commotion at the front of the line. The chatter was dying down, and it looked like one of the large double doors was slowly being pushed open. "Where are the tickets?"

"Right here," Wes already had them out and ready.

"Good."

"See, you are excited!" He playfully nudged Laila.

"Maybe," She said truthfully. "I dunno if I am or not." She couldn't quite make up her mind. Half of her was curious, the other half was nervous, and the tiniest portion of each was excited.

"Tickets?" A large man was making his way toward them. "Tickets?" He asked the next person in line. They handed him a ticket and went inside. "Tickets?"

"We're almost in," Wes and Laila walked forward as the line moved.

"Tickets?"

"Here," Wes eagerly shoved both tickets in the man's hands. He waved them forward. "Get ready to run!"

"Huh?"

And then Wes grabbed Laila's hand and took off running, pulling her along to the very front. He shoved past several people, moved past the middle of the room, and placed Laila slightly in front of himself and against the barrier. The only things between herself and the stage were the spaced out security guards, some empty space, and two massive amplifiers far against each side.

"Can you see?"

"Wes," Laila gave him a dull look. "Really?"

"Well you're short," He shrugged. "I don't know how much you can see."

"I'm average," She huffed. "I am five feet, six inches, thank you very much. And I can see everything."

"Like I said, short."

"Compared to you and these amps," She playfully crossed her arms, "Compared to the general female American population, I'm one inch above average. What's happening?" She got distracted as someone came on stage and started toying with the microphone. Then another man came out with a guitar and played a few notes. He switched it out for another and did the same. "What're they doing?"

"Making sure the gear works," Wes replied.

"They don't do that before people get here?" She asked curiously.

"Have you never been to a concert before?"

She shook her head. "Only Broadway shows. And touring Broadway shows. And dance performances. That's it. I've performed in a few voice recitals, but they always check the mike before people show up."

"Well I guess it's different at rock shows. We get to watch it happen. See that?" He pointed to a black guitar that was donned with writing and stickers, "That's Distression's lead guitarist's guitar."