Chapter Thirty Four

I felt his fury from my bed and the force of it washed away any humiliation. The shock which should have accompanied my relief was not there, perhaps because I was still ill.

The sheer movie moment of him flying through that window, glass and shards and all flying in every which way and direction. It was madness. One huge slice of the window just fell forwards and shattered on the floor, bits of it coated in his blood.

He wiped his forehead with his bloody fist and the blood dripped towards his eyes.

My knight in a glamorous expensive looking fully black suit was here. His shoulders broad and intimidating and he hunched forwards like a tiger ready to attack.

His eyes were gleaming, the predator had pinpointed his prey, locked on and those jaws were not going to let go.

Even I, despite knowing I was never ever going to be the victim of such swallows of his anger, felt shivers travel down my spine. 

There was a kind of mist surrounding him, a power which was to be felt and not described, such sheer rage and all compressed into my little bedroom. So strange.

Yet the weirdest thing was how incredibly unutterably impossibly safe this man's fury made me feel.

I was safe.

I could breath.

He was here and nothing would ever happen to me.

I was far too distracted to even notice Mara's scream or the way she pulled out that gleaming sickle of fear.

When I turned I saw it though, in slow motion as well, the way she leaped for me. Agile like a monkey, she ran to cut me with it, what it was I couldn't see. Somehow that part of my memory was distorted, whatever was in her hands was swallowed by blackness, or perhaps it was never there.

Fact is I couldn't remember how it looked or what it was. Only that it shimmered in the lamp light.

And as it moved towards me Ryuu, who I had not seem move a step forward, suddenly appeared as if to teleport and without even attempting to get in the way of the knife and I, went in and smacked that girl in the face.

I mean the smack echoed around the room the sheer force of it made even me wince it was more like a crack of thunder and when she stood there for a second absolutely dazed and still I thought perhaps she was dead.

Then she moved to open her mouth but when she looked up at Ryuu, who's face was dark with the very force of his fury, she suddenly crumpled.

It was a little like a vampire movie.

She had come here to bite me and suck me of my blood but he had saved me and staked her through the heart and she had just withered into nothing on the floor.

It was a shock because of the sheer intensity of the situation. I felt like I was watching everything from a second pair of eyes somewhere in the upper corner of the room.

Like I had somehow possessed a ghost.

She lay there and did not move and Ryuu seemed surprised himself even if that did not last long, I concurred, it had come out of nowhere.

He was not focused enough on his already defeated prey, he seemed to have no interest in her anymore, enough to lean to the side and pick up what was presumably her weapon of choice and shove it into a drawer at random.

I gasped in shock and he lifted me up against the headboard with his hands around my biceps and kissed me with such force I thought we might break each others teeth.