Chapter Four

[A/N] This is dedicated to PrinceKenzie for the cover she made for me way back. I changed the cover just recently so I put up the cover in the image slot for ya'll to see.

Darren decided it was a better idea to come over later, that way we wouldn't be blackmailed into one of the cleaning crew.

So we where sitting there in his dining room eating lunch with Jack and Ari. It was raining outside so apparently they'd cancelled Saturday footie practice and it was just before the winter game. So Ari was pissed off already before Jack started attempting to flirt with her.

After all the moaning about having a headache the size of the moon it was a wonder he was able to recover so fast.

"So we where all sitting in a circle and they where spinning the bottle but it was square so it wasn't spinning properly and I took it and put it in a hole in a box of- no wait that sounded weird! Let me start over-" Jack rambled.

Ari, after being still and unresponsive for almost half an hour now, suddenly spun round and turned to glare at him.

Jack looked a little surprised.

"No, don't. I don't need to hear any more about the party you insist on pretending to remember!"

I smiled slightly and chuckled.

Darren ignored this and continued pouring half the contents of the gravy over on his mash potatoes.

He seemed used to it, Jack obviously came over often enough for him to have found ways to ignore the incessant nattering going on.

That made me a bit sad.

Maybe had I stuck around a bit longer I would have been the only one to be so comfortable around his family.

But then again, it hadn't really been possible at the time.

Had I stuck around with Darren during the time he was vaguely becoming aware of my sexuality the way he had been treating every one else would have turned on me.

And I couldn't handle that, I couldn't handle being bullied.

Yeah. Darren was a bit of a bully back then. Well... He was the bully. Our school didn't have many people like that, not back then anyways. It used to be a private school but turned public four years ago.

So how did I become friends with him?

Well we'd been friends since primary school, I'd spilled fruit juice on his shirt and given him mine. All I really remember though is complementing him on something or other.

And suddenly we where hanging out, it eventually became as natural as breathing air.

I obviously had no idea that what he was doing was wrong. I was mostly confused because for my age I had been a pretty small kid, and when he beat up the smaller kids but was so nice to me I thought those kids must have deserved it.

It was embarrassing to think now, that I had thought something so stupid, that they had deserved it.

I even remember glaring at a couple of the kids the day after for offending my friend. I remember Darren laughing and I didn't get why.

He was always nice to me, sometimes a bit cold, he ignored me if he got mad at me and hated talking about why, but otherwise he was an amazing friend.

When I was little I had like no money, I still don't. But he would still find ways to have fun, even if they where a little daring.

I would just follow him everywhere and do whatever he told me to do.