Chapter Nine

So Darren drove us to my place first. Since I took my time fidgeting about in my locker Darren felt it was necessary to drive like a maniac to get to my place. Obviously it was more out of the way than he had initially told me because he had spent almost forty minutes as we made our way out of school trying to convince me that I looked good and that Miguel wouldn't mind if I came in school uniform.

Nevertheless I disagreed and had him drive me back anyway. I knew by now he had only said it was on the way as means to convince me to go. His driving spoke loudly enough. I wouldn't have minded so much if he wasn't using his brothers new highlighter green Volvo. I really didn't want to be responsible for whatever damages he inflicted on the vehicle.

When we reached my place it occurred to me that I had forgotten entirely what my dad would think.

See I don't have many friends and the only friends of mine dad has ever met is Darren. I had to invite him round first because dad won't let me over to anyone else's house unless he's met them first.

Actually, my dad thought he was a pretty nice guy at first. Something happened with his parents though and now he wants me away from him. I also added to his hate for Darren during the time when me and Darren were super close.

See I'm super sensitive and whenever we fought even a little bit I would go home and cry and think we would never be friends again and blab to my dad about how much of a jerk he is. Course five minutes later we would make up and once we fought again the same thing would happen. I never told my dad anything good about Darren so no wonder he hates his guts.

So what was I to do? I couldn't say I was going to Darren's, I couldn't say I was going over to another friends because he would make me invite them in first and I certainly wasn't going to tell him the truth.

Like, hey dad I'm going on a double date with Darren, the guy who mauled my neck at the party I went to without your permission, and his sister... That okay?

No.

I was going to have to be creative. And you can't get any worse at lying than me.

"Why don't you just try to go in real quiet, get your shit and not tell him anything? You can just change in the car."

I flushed a little. "I'm not changing in the damn car!"

"You're a dude! Man up! Ain't no one gonna be seeing your titties."

I gaped at him and shoved my hands in my pockets. "God, you're such an idiot I don't even have my keys!"

He groaned loudly, his hand rubbing his forehead as his eyes screwed up in irritation.

"I'll have to knock which means you should probably go back to the car because he will munch on your ass if he sees you here!" I said and he nodded, backing away slowly then turning to jog towards the car.

He slowed for a second and turned around to face me a while down the street. "Try not to be suspicious." He said.

I nodded.

"No." He said sternly. "I mean in. Mylo we all know how you get."

I rolled my eyes and turned back to the door, hearing Darrens footsteps pattering away.

I hated to admit it. But he was right. Even when I hadn't told a lie people could sense that I was about to. Well. Sense... I mean I make it obvious.

Back when I was ten I stole Darrens sparkly purple kigachum card and kid it under my pillow. The next day I went over to his house a second time and thought I was going to have to lie. He hadn't noticed it had gone missing yet but when I started shaking and sweating and getting nervous every time anyone talked to me in his house he went and checked his set and asked me if I took it and I replied with 'neah'.