Chapter Twenty Eight

In the morning my sister and my father made breakfast together and I woke up to the smell of fresh waffles. Some things smell even better then they taste.

Most mornings I had cereal on my own. It wasn't that my dad wouldn't cook breakfast for me or join me for breakfast he definitely would but I've just never woken up as early as he did.

For some reason he wakes up at 5AM which makes no sense when you work online as a freelance proofreader with your own working hours.

Anyway, today we sat together, huddled around the little wooden table which was in our little cramped kitchen. The sun was still rising and the light under the teapot flickered comfortably in the growing light.

We talked steadily, there was a rarely a moment when one person was silent.

It was just really nice.

I was glad Donna was home, she kind of just glued us together.

"And how about you Donna?" He asked her in his gruff you-better-not voice, "Have you found a boyfriend?"

She flushed a small bit, when she blushed it never went to her face but to her ears so I was always the only person who could tell if she was embarrassed or not.

"Nope, not right now."

He hummed.

"It's just as well, sometimes relationships are more trouble then they're worth," He gave a sideways glace at me.

I blushed.

"He's not trouble, he's actually really nice I think..." I trailed off.

"You think?" He narrowed his eyes.

"No- no I mean I think maybe you would like him if you got to know him..."

He scowled into his waffles and then turned to look at me.

"Well then maybe you should invite him round."

I stared at him.

My cheeks probably turned blue. (Geddit? Like the blue part of the flame is the hottest? Hah)

"I don't know..."

"You just said I would like him if I got to know him, well, invite him over."

I stared at him uncomfortably.

"Maybe."

He patted my shoulder, "He can come 'round for dinner and I'll cook up something he likes. Let me know when he's coming."

I started tapping my finger nervously.

"O-Okay... Okay but you won't try to... uhm... scare him or anything right?"

He smiled grimly and reassured me he wouldn't but I wasn't completely inclined to believe him.

"He's really nice to me daddy don't okay?"

He just looked at me, then at my sister, then away from both of us and even his waffles.

A silence ensued and Donna and I continued eating.

"Mylo..." He finally spoke, "You should always be careful with these things okay?"

I swallowed my mouthful of waffle and cream, "Careful?"

His eyes seemed to be surveying something behind me as he looked at me, "Careful with relationships, above all careful with attachments... It can really, really hurt when people leave you know?"

This time the silence was considerably more awkward.

"It's not just your mother I've been with people before her who left and it can really tear into you. You never expect it when they leave, even if you've been anticipating it for years.