Chapter Thirteen

When I got back home the lights were all off. Luckily I had remembered to bring the key along, well, my subconscious had anyway. I'd stuffed them into my parka without thinking. Could you imagine how awkward it would have been to come home this late and have to knock on the door to get my dad to answer?

I cringed as I opened the door and it creaked loudly.

I hadn't arrived that late, it was about eight now, that was late enough to get me into trouble.

I moved slowly through the corridor, on the verge of tiptoeing. Then I noticed the kitchen light was on. I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw no one was in there, there were pots and pans in the sink a long with a couple plates. On the table was some leftovers from dinner. It looked amazing. Mashed potatoes with peas and steak.

I dished out some of the cold food onto my plate. The takeaway we had gotten had been alright but Deep Fry always served them in such a small quantity.

I reached over and poured a glob of dark brown gravy onto my food. God it smelled delicious.

As I was eating I began to wonder why exactly my dad had prepared so much food.

Ever since my sister had moved out my dad hadn't really bothered to spend too much time on cooking. Since it was the two of us he just usually put something frozen in the oven and put a fizzy drink on the table.

I liked those meals. I just didn't know what I was missing out on.

I moaned as the good food settled in my stomach and rested a while before getting up, putting the dirty dishes in the dishwasher and washing the pots and pans. I silently made my way to bed.

On my way upstairs I froze. I just stopped on the stairs. Strange smell. My brain processed it. I started to move again, never mind, it's probably nothing. Hopefully probably nothing.

****

Later in bed I wriggled around underneath my covers, desperately trying to sleep.

My mind was taking inventory of today's events, recounting it over and over.

I couldn't believe I had a boyfriend, a lover.

I hadn't counted on finding anyone while I was still in high school.

I'd once had a conversation with my sister about how little gay people there were in our town and how scared I was of ending up alone. She'd told me not to worry, that once I got to university I would find more than enough candidates.

Oddly enough my sister had been the most homophobic when I first came out. She found out first, nearly scared me into buying myself a nice big closet to hide in for life.

It could have been the way she'd found out. She'd been dating this boy in the year above you see, and he'd apparently seen me and Chris leave together from school and asked my sister whether we were dating. I didn't know about this when she asked me where I was that day, I told her I was at Mariah's house.

Wow, that was embarrassing looking back on it.

She asked me how far we'd gone and I just lied and told her we made out but that was it. Actually, I thought she would be fine with it. I was way more concerned with coming out to my dad and I'd read somewhere that women were much more accepting than men.

But I was shocked when she started rambling on about how our bodies are a one way traffic and nothing belonged up there, she told me if I wanted to be with a man I shouldn't have sex.