Chapter Fourteen

[Miguel Andorran]

I gently squeezed the front brake and increased the pressure until my motorcycle came to a full stop.

I had driven myself just a bit down the road from Melbourgh High School outside a Subway. It was crowded and I had to take off my helmet just to glare at a vehicle coming my way to get the parking place. Who knows if the driver of the blue Yamaha saw me, he backed away like he might have.

I'd arrived exactly five minutes before his school day ended, we had texted in the morning, I'd made sure he knew where I was waiting and what time to be there.

I ripped my helmet off and tied it in a messy knot on the handle and then leaned against it.

Making my way to his school I noticed the silent stares from girls leaving early. They rarely approached, they had too good instincts to try.

When I turned to look at them, trying to get an idea of what Mylos uniform might look like, they turned their heads away and huddled closer as they walked.

Why did girls always walking in small groups like that, always giggling at something, occasionally dragging along one stranger to set aside during their play.

On set the female actors always huddled together, chatting shit about every other person there. You could always tell a professional from a wannabe. The professionals are polite and prefer solitude to bitchy conversations during the endless hours of waiting.

I stopped beside the school gates and leaned against the brick wall.

His school looked a little rich but small, which was nice. Back in Japan our school was almost twenty times the size of this, they'd spent much more money on the design than the actual apparatus. We had a massive library, a giant courtyard, and neat well spaced classrooms.

But our science rooms were badly stocked and sports clubs were forced to rent out sports halls from other schools or gyms because we didn't have a gym of our own, all our exercise was done in the courtyard in the front of the school.

We didn't have any gates to if you weren't fit it wasn't just the four classes you were lined up with that was going to be laughing at you.

Our teachers had insured that we did routine stretching exercises in the morning during roll call of the four classes that came in at that time.

If you got in trouble for whatever they would call you back to that spot and make you work your ass off. I'd had to do more than sixty press-ups one time, small punishment to pay for pinning someone up against the wall and locking them in the lockers.

I tried to lean in a little further to see if any boys around sixteen might be coming out. Instead I nearly bumped foreheads with a short girl carrying a backpack that looked nearly twice her size.

I pulled back but she stopped moving all together and looked up at me with an unreadable expression.

Should I have worn my hoodie or something... I preferred my biker jacket. It was smooth black like the rest of my clothes, I liked black, some say black feels like aggression... to me it just looks like power. And I liked power.

I wanted Mylo to see me for who I was, not some perfect give and take kinda guy.

I'd bounced off of one person to another in my time and each one had found themselves begging me to lean on them. I didn't do that. I lean on no one. I need someone who will depend on me, entirely, need me and beg me for it.

The girl didn't move and I was beginning to get irritated with her staring.

At first, when I'd returned to England, I'd gotten a bit pissed that no one recognized me. It felt like a new low. I knew for sure people listened to my tracks here, they loved it that I spoke English.